Another one of my better coin finds.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
This was one of two 1877 Indian Heads in the same hole with an 1869 Indian and an 1876 Seated Liberty dime. It came out of a field on the west side of Fairmount Park in Philly before the archies got us kicked out of the park. It's a crying shame that the Fairmount Park Commission butchered that field, piled on new dirt and leveled it off to make a Rugby field out of it. All that history just plowed over and the archies never even bothered to check it out. We're not even permitted to dig a little hole and retrieve a coin anymore.

Attachments

• cert plus indians 002.jpg
    cert plus indians 002.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,148
Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Free2Dtect! said:
Good post! I hope this one gets noticed. Great find.

I noticed it!
That is the Holy Grail of metal detecting.
I'd put that right up there with the 1916-d Mercury dime.
So what is the story about Fairmount park. I've heard about this before.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Wow- Congrats!! This is one of two?? 1877 IH's you found?? Even in G-4 condition their worth over $600!!
The one in the picture looks better than that. Incredible!! 8) 8) 8)
Sorry about your hunting spot
Luck at the next one

Smithrow1

Aug 2, 2006
Great find. I wish you could still detect there I go down to the park every year with my rowing team.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice 1877.

I'm still waiting for mine to come.

HH Jer

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Re: Indian Heads and Fairmount Park.

Thanks everyone for the nice words. I remember one time I was detecting in Fairmount and a guy pulled up in a car with his family to see what I was finding. He was from Michigan and he said he had never found an Indian Head cent with his metal detector. I pulled about five or six out of my pouch to show him. He was absolutely astonished. I told him to get his detector out and join me and he said he'd be back later. I often wondered if he ever found his Indian Head.

I myself have found almost 1500 Indian Head cents, the vast majority of which came out of Fairmount Park. I've put together a couple of complete sets of Indian Heads, minus the 08-s and 09-s only. They're the only ones that I haven't found. I would venture to say that most of the men and women who hunted Fairmount regularly have similar stories. I know of at least four 1877's that came out of the park. Man, would I love to get in there now with the Minelab Explorer.

As far as the other 1877 I found, unfortunately I sold it a long time ago. I think I got $250 for it. I could get a lot more for it now. The one I have left is like VF-EX, but it has a little bit of pitting on the surface. I'll talk more about Fairmount in another post. Here's a semi-key Indian for you:

Attachments

• cert plus indians 004.jpg
    cert plus indians 004.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 997

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice!
I have found a few '64-L's too. One is very nice, the others are so-so.
Finding key date and scarce date coins is such a rush.
WTG!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, yes it is a shame that Fairmont Park went off limits, I was just ready to get a permit to hunt the next year when they stopped the program. :( Ah heck, I'll stick to my woods hunting anyway.

Nice IH's BTW :)

Don in SJ

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
great find! it is a shame that fairmont park is off limits now. i live about 20 miles south of philly and i would love to go over that park! here in wilmington delaware we have some cool old parks as well but.....you guessed it! off limits. seems like great spots are getting harder to find by the day.at any rate, great indian!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread