waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that we're starting to get some rain out here in the Northwest I thought it was time to head back and do some parking strips. I get to the neighborhood where I've had a lot of success in the past and started searching. The first coin I dug was a 1936 Washington Quarter. So now I'm excited thinking it'll be a good day. I finished that section along the sidewalk and turned around to head back along the curb and I got a kinda strange bouncing signal between a quarter and a half. So I dug it, and out popped a 1943S Walking Liberty Half. My first WL (I've found Franklins and even a barber) so now I'm really excited. I finished the strip and figured I would kinda walk up the middle of the strip just in case I hadn't overlapped my swings. Was just getting started when this guy comes up and asks what I am doing. I told him and he replies well this is my house! I informed him that while THAT may have been his house, the ground I was on was public property. He told me he didn't care and that he didn't want me in his yard. So I said fine and just walked on to the next strip and started hunting again. Smiling all of the time with a half and a quarter in my pocket :laughing7:

Unfortunately the half was on edge and I put a gouge in it while digging the plug, but I'm still a happy camper.

The other side of the street wasn't nearly as productive. I got some clad and a neat Mercedes Benz Lapel pin.

happy hunting to ya'll

Attachments

• oct 14 silver.JPG
    oct 14 silver.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Nice finds. The homeowner sounds like a bit of a loon. How can he call public property HIS yard...?

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathan said:
Nice finds. The homeowner sounds like a bit of a loon. How can he call public property HIS yard...?

It happens from time to time. Even though the strips are public property (it is even written into the Portland city codes), the home owner has to maintain the strip so they tend to think of it as theirs.

I've had "discussions" before and even a couple of visits from the police, but for the most part the folks are nice and curious about what I find.

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds, im still waiting for my first barber and half dollar, its been a slow year here in seattle.

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem the other day. The lady didn't want me digging in "her" yard. I told her that I was digging in the city easement but she didn't want to hear it. The whole area is historic and I had just found a gold locket a couple of houses back so i moved on. I also have to watch for street people coming up behind me. Some of them are quite interesting and challenging. I sometimes carry a 1911 but I would hate to have to use it. Great coins by the way.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet half :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread