Another Permission Nets 2 More IHPs and 2 Silver #27 & #28

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It rained a little through the night, so instead of beach hunting I decided to go to a new permission. :headbang: James is an 88 yo, WWII Navy Vet, and a widower. When I got to his house and knocked, he invited me in. We stood and chatted for a while, he really lit up when he saw that I was very interested in a sketch of the freighter he was assigned to as a Helmsman. We stood in front of that framed sketch and he was so elated to discuss the the details of the ship. Soon we discussed his property lines and then I geared up and began to detect. I normally run my grid parallel to the sidewalk, but today I decided to detect from the sidewalk to the house. (Narrow yard, the house is on the 1874 map).

I have never found so many nickles nor pennies during a 5 hr permission hunt. :coins: (11 nickles & 84 pennies) The F75 LTD SE :metaldetector: is a "nickle killer" in 3H or 4H tone. Half way's done with the front yard I found a 2 penny spill, (knew they were together for a while because they were milky green on the sides that were touching). I assumed that they were both wheats since I could only make out an Abe on one of the coins. Turns out it was a 1920 wheat & a 1901 IHP. :thumbsup:

Three quarters the way through the hunt I found my 1st silver of the day, a 1954 Rosie :icon_thumright:, 15 minutes later I pulled the 1946 quarter. :icon_thumleft: It was within 3 ft of the Rosie. I believe I pulled the 1865 IHP from under a root, in the same quarter of the yard the 2 silvers were.

At 3:30 I was done for the day. Sat on the porch with Jim, showing him all of my finds, trash included. We really enjoyed each others company. Sat there for about an hour shooting the breeze. I told him to expect me by from time to time so we can chat some more. and I was looking forward to detecting the property again, in the near future, especially after the next soaking rain.

Notables

20150815_172218.jpg

All finds
20150815_172026.jpg

The thimble is aluminum and from the White Sewing Machine Co.
Wellington is the home of the man who painted the "Spirit of 76". It was really cool that I dug a pin that depicts the painting.
Pulled another Famous Facts & Faces token (60's or 70's from Shell). The big thing towards the bottom is a homemade fishing sinker and the little wing thing is from a Zebco reel. I remember seeing them in 1972 when my Dad bought some new rod & reels, the line was tied to these from the factory.

As always, hope ya'll got out and swung the coil today...

GL & HH

Last edited:
Upvote 15

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of Indians... Couple of Silvers... Hard to complain about that hunt.

Nice.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt loco,
Sounds like the best part was meeting the owner!
I have met some of the nices people. I still go see some from time to time, even know I dont detect there yard anymore.
What a great hobby.
George

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your a worker for sure, your finds show it. And wasn't it great to spend some time with Jim? Maybe your best find?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day Loco, we meet some nice people in this hobby.....half the fun. :thumbup:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. congrats on the silvers and the IH. I know it means a lot to take the time to listen to a older vet. Got to hunt a WW2 vets house about a month ago, and his job or MOS was to find German mines with a metal detector. S mines is what he called them.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OWK You got that right :thumbsup:

Vino I agree this is a great hobby, and I really enjoy the nice people I have been meeting.

Brother Al, You might be right. Jim is a great guy, sort of given up on life since his wife died. No TV, nor radio, eats at the diner occasionally, most of the time he either sits on the porch or in his living room like as if he waiting to pass on to the other side sadly to say.

relic nut, I couldn't agree more.

RJ55 I met a WWII vet in a local bar when I was in Nashville in the early 80's. He could rattle off the muzzle velocity of the M1911 45 cal pistol as if he just learned it yesterday. That was about 40 years after the war and he had a good beer buzz going.

Last edited:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's slot of coinage man great job love the silvers always welcome in my book!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk about a pocketful of coins!, good job on the silvers and IHs!!!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver, Indians and time with a WWII vet....priceless!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your best find of the day was James. I can relate to the story as I just returned from vacation and while there I met a widow who was outside in her yard, while I was walking down the street, who was about the same age as James. We must have spoken for about an hour or more initially and she was gracious enough to give me permission to detect her property. She told me I wouldn't find much and she came out on my day one there to see if I'd found anything. She was really surprised at what I'd unearthed so far (post coming soon). I would always take the time to speak with her while I was there and on the last day I brought her a gift and would have done so whether I found anything or not. She also invited me in to her home and showed me her late husband's military medals and pictures of her sons in the military. I feel fortunate to have met a new friend and will keep in touch. Your story sounded so similar to mine from the last couple of days. Cherish the friendship as I'm sure you enjoy speaking with James as much as he enjoys speaking with you. :thumbsup:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
. THIS GUY HAS BEEN DIGGING LIKE A DOG WITH A BAD CASE OF FLEAS.DID YOU LEAVE ANY DIRT /,YOU DID LEAVE SOME DIRT BEHIND RIGHT. KINDA LOOKS LIKE YOU FELL INTO A NEST OF COPPERHEADS.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of digs there. But your efforts didn't go unnoticed by the silver gods. Great saves, and a great story. Sounds like you have a new friend. Your best find of the day.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing day ya had!!! Great scores for sure!!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that's a lot of targets LD. Pretty safe to say that was a virgin site.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds :icon_thumright: I have not found an IH but maybe someday, Congrats on the finds an the new friend !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread