Another pesty newb question.

riomike

Greenie
May 27, 2011
brownsville, tx.
hey everyone. i've been away from the hobbie for so many years i consider myself a newb. my question is i can only afford one descent qaulity detector. i live in brownsville, tx. and i want to detect dry for coins, rings, etc. but also walk the beach. can anyone recomend a good detector for both or am i asking for too much?

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Go to Kellycodetectors.com and view their selection of lower end detectors. I hear the Garret ACE 250 is great for what you plan on hunting for and they are extremely reasonable pricewise.. Around $200-$250.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a detector to really perform where you want it comes down to budget. The multi freq. detectors is what you want to look at and Mike at Woodland is the person to talk to! Just tell him I sent you and get 50% off. :wink: :laughing7:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On land and dry sand you have a lot to choose from.

If you want to get into wet salt sand, then things get a little more complicated.

And expensive.

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch is right on the money. If you want to hunt both dry land and ocean beaches, a multiple frequency machine is far and away the best choice. Now as for brand, he likes MineLab, I like White's.

Time for you to do some research and make a choice. ;D

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
All metal detecting find the same thing, the expensive ones are just bells and whistles. I find that the Tesoro Umax has an incredible discrimination over high priced detectors.

My vote is a Umax for $232. or a Bounty hunter quick silver (major depth) for around $130

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread