Another preditor we dont talk about.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lord, that is sick.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there scavengers not predators but they do eat meat

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had a pic of my friend's turkey buzzard friend... Along the lines of vulture. She found it young in her yard , unable to fly , but it was big enough that the cats didnt hurt it( at her place that's not unusual, their are chickens eating out of bowls with cats, a house rooster... Lol, and so on) he comes periodically and knocks on tbe door with his beak, he brings buddies with him and they toss out scraps from dinner to them.. Lol. It's a riot .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Actually they aren't preditors. They are scavengers.
I have 3 vultures in the remains of my barn. The pair raise one young one each year. The young one just wants to sit in the sun and bask. The male keeps pouncing on him until he flies. It will probably take weeks before he will hunt with the adults. Once he learns to hunt, he is out on his own to seek a mate.
The turkey vultures around here are less aggressive, but do a good job of keeping the place clean, But I can't picture them finishing off something that fast. They usually start with the eyes and then dig into the entrals. The hide isn't eaten unless there is nothing else to eat in their area. They don't attack live things. Frank...

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 056-1.jpg Yea, It's a raven. Haven't pictured the buzzards yet.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a film on Independent Lens of people from Mexico crossing the border. Some die and there's not much left. At the time the film was made AZ has 300 bodies in the fridge and were trying to ID them for relatives.
I knew a guy that broke a leg and died in the Maze at Canyon Lands in Utah. He wasn't fund for 2 years but was mummified. For those that aren't familiar with Canyon lands, It's very remote in the Maze.This can be a tough planet.
There are lots of ways to die.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love thou's stories....We have turkey vulture's here hay dad just shot a turkey but he's the ugliest one I ever shot...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
love thou's stories....We have turkey vulture's here hay dad just shot a turkey but he's the ugliest one I ever shot...

Funny thing about ugly. I spent some time with birds of prey and after awhile vultures and buzzards don't look ugly anymore. In fact they can be hospitable as long as your alive.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could have been worse.
they could have started before she was dead.

The Times reported that Pyrénéan farmers have been demanding the right to shoot the birds, known as Griffon Vultures, because they've been attacking sheep and cows.
But the species is protected in France and has lost access to its normal diet of carcasses due to European health and safety regulations.

stupidity causes problems

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...their self defense is to vomit,and its the most retched substance known to man.....as you can imagine.It will etch steel

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing about ugly. I spent some time with birds of prey and after awhile vultures and buzzards don't look ugly anymore. In fact they can be hospitable as long as your alive.

Lmao, hospitable . I picture a buzzard with a tea cup... " would you like a spot of tea?"

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another story of a hiker who died. Its starting already. Be good boyscouts people, be prepared.

I'm curious how one is supposed to prepare not to die and get eaten by scavengers.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Major Didier Pericou told The Times of Europe, "When we first went out in the helicopter looking for the body, we saw numerous vultures without realizing what they were doing."

Every cowboy movie I ever saw... when they see vultures overhead they knew something was dead. Oh I forgot no cowboys in France.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it involves the second amendment somehow

Jeff your on a roll tonight ! Lol. If you want to see grown men run around and crash into each like panicked chickens Say " I think there should be gun control"

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there should be gun control

<teehee....>

Hmmm, I don't see anyone running around or doing anything yet.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting it in the 2nd amendment forum .... Squawking chickens running amok I promise.. Lol

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nothing to worry about.. when you die have them send your body to the Body Farm, Knoxville, TN.

DON'T WATCH THIS!!

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there scavengers not predators but they do eat meat
I wouldn't want to be on their radar if I was in a bad situation.

Hasn't anyone seen Alfred Hitchcocks, ?The Birds"?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread