Another question about ....Depth....I know, not this again!!

Deepseeker 1

Nov 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Ace 250
I know that this subject has been beaten to death ...but here goes. I am interested in eventually picking up a Tesoro Sand Shark. I am quite aware of the problems with some type of gasket failure...i called one of my local shops to find ...THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!!! I'll wait! I guess everyone has to! My question; If I'm detecting in good, fairly clean wet/ or dry sand at the beach...what would be the maximum I could expect for inch depth?? Provided coins or jewelry are lying flat too! I'm talking a repeatable signal also when you swing the coil 90 degrees the other way. My Ace 250 has been tested this way; in clean sand I can expect from my ace to repeatedly spot a quarter(in dry sand) at 8 inches EVERY TIME. Beyond that it drops off dramatically. So what kind(in inches) of depth can I expect in good clean sand wet/ or dry.

I love reading ALL TREASURNET members articles...there is lots of wisdom out here. The articles are a TREASURE in of itself! And to all members,...good luck, and happy hunting!! I appreciate any/ and all responses Thank You from,...

Deepseeker 1 :icon_thumright: ....keep the coil to the soil!!!

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what I've been told about VLF and PI machines in general.

PI is only an advantage over VLF when ground mineralization becomes a problem for VLF.

Normally a good PI unit only gets the depth of a good VLF machine.

PI may be the machine of choice in salt water situations. Some use them in fresh water land/lake situations where there are unusual mineral problems.

Other than that you're always better off with a quality VLF discrimination machine due to real discrimination.

I've done my share of hunting and very few sites were free enough from iron to allow for an all-metal mode hunting. And no matter what anybody tells you, all PI's are all-metal mode.

I'd like to play with a good PI unit myself. I plan to get one soon. But I already know the places where I can use it will be few.

Badger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a PI, but I have pulled targets over 14 inches with both my Excal and Sovereigns, and with the WOT coils it is deeper...............

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not like the Sandshark because the threshold wasn't as stable as I would have liked making it very hard to tell the deep stuff. Not sure how much better other pulse units are but that was my beef with that one. You'd also need the 10.5" coil... 8" won't cut it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find it super deep. To get more depth you do need the 10.5" coil as Iron Patch says but then you will find that your not getting gold chains.

I would place it between the Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and the Whites DF. If your working black sand it should be deeper than an Excaliber (matched coil sizes). On pure white sand with little or no mineralisation you might well be better looking at a Minelab with its far bigger coil range.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have the old Whites Surfmaster PI . Descrimination? forgrt it, there really is none! It loves Iron and gold. How deep will it go. On the beach, salt water, I found a boat anchor at 19" with a loude signal. Same beach, found a white gold and diamond ring at 10", also on same beach found a silver chain with a St. Christopher metal at 6". On another beach with black metalic sand, I found several pennies with clear signals at app. 4". A friend of mine with a good quality TR unit could only pick up the black sand! At the beach I dig all targets anyway!
Both my PI & my XLT can pick up my power lines which are 2" deep, But the EMF given off might have something to do with that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread