another question about ebay

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay has shipping labels. When I sold my item, it looked like getting a shipping label from ebay would simplify a lot of things, but I already had the priority mail box, and the buyer paid the postage, so I went that route. My question is does ebay charge for the label service, and if so, how much? When does ebay take their percentage cut on the sale. I thought they would do that right away, but the entire sale amount was posted to my paypal account. Ebay didn't charge me to list the item. Now that it's sold, what charges should I expect? Thanks

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay doesn't charge for the labels...you actually get a discount printing through them compared to shipping at the post office. They (ebay) takes their cut once a month...PayPal takes theirs when the transfer occurred...the reason they didn't charge you for the listing is ebay gives you 50 free a month...then usually mid month they run a special that allows you to have a few "free" days or a certain number of free listings.

Between ebay and paypal figure 15% in fees.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Ebay said with their label the postage was a dollar cheaper than the post office for the priority box. With the ebay label do I still get to use the free post office priority mail box?

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...you can use all the post office supplies (free boxes). You can also schedule pickups from your residence and order the free boxes online and have them delivered to your door.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can use the free box and Ebay label as long as you ship it Priority Mail.
If you use standard post or other, they'll return it to you.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
eBay's charges for fees for listings (unless free), final bid price fees, Reserve Price fees (if the item does not sell) and postage (shipping) costs are all billed to you every month at the same time. PayPal's fees for receiving the payment, are normally deducted from your' PayPal Account when the money is received. eBay also charges fees on shipping but I still have never been able to figure out why and to what these fees actually apply.

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay's charges for fees for listings (unless free), final bid price fees, Reserve Price fees (if the item does not sell) and postage (shipping) costs are all billed to you every month at the same time. PayPal's fees for receiving the payment, are normally deducted from your' PayPal Account when the money is received. eBay also charges fees on shipping but I still have never been able to figure out why and to what these fees actually apply.

Frank
The 9% they take out of shipping is because of all the stupid sellers that were getting out of paying final value fees because they were charging (making all their money) on the shipping charges. Example- item worth $100, seller lists for .99 and shipping costs of $90. Item sells for said .99 and the shipping. Ebay only got the final value fee without the shipping. So now they screw the honest sellers too instead of (only) the ones scamming the system. So now they just do a blanket charge on every seller.

As far as using ebay to print labels and ship. It is free and cheaper than using the P.O. You can ship however you'd like whether it be Priority or parcel select or what have you. Just don't use a USPS Priority box unless you use Priority mail to ship it. I don't specify what service I will use when shipping in my ebay sales listings. That's because sometimes it's actually cheaper to send something priority versus parcel select, depending on the weight. Also, delivery confirmation is free and your tracking information is automatically uploaded and sent to the buyer.

Also Ebay takes out their percentage automatically around the 8th of each month on me, if I don't pay it first myself.

Hope some of this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread