Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Google screen shot added Another question about locating gold

Another question about locating gold but I have pics

I live in Southern Cali. There is gold to be found all over the place within an hour to a couple hours drive. Over the last 4 months I have been to a local area a handful of times and worked it. This time of year its drywasher or in a couple months or less I can run my sluice.

This area is less than 30 minutes from me from the time I leave my house and set up ready to run dirt, Its killing me that it’s this close but never very productive. I have not been prospecting all that long maybe 6 months or less.

Every time I go however I do find gold but always from a super small flake to what I guess some are calling flour gold.

In the picture below you can see our set up. That wall there we have hit a few times and still find the same amount each time or we can dig in the creek and find the same amount. That wall is maybe 30’ high (bad judge of distance I’m just guessing here). I cannot imagine how many years the water has been eating away at this land. The whole you can see in the wall in the picture below is maybe 12-15’ higher and guessing 50’ away from the center of the creek bed and like I was saying we can find small amounts of gold in both spots.

So I guess my question is would it seem the entire area is scattered with small traces of gold or is it possible the water used to run up that high and its worked its way down over years and if that’s the case would it most likely make the most sense to almost find the lowest point of the creek in this area and then dig to china for my best chances of finding something bigger than flour gold? Or would it make more sense to move up the creek a mile or so ? Just very hard terrain and dangerous slopes.

I know it’s the same old mess please, please help me find gold and I’m not really trying to sound like that I’m just looking for some commonsense answers that apparently I’m just not figuring out. Maybe there is no real answer for such a broad question like this.

I know gold will just be where it will be is a great answer I have seen before but I also know that in life there can be a natural course of events that happen so with that said and all I am finding is mostly flour gold does it make sense to say this area is near the end of the run from where ever the gold started coming down river from?

1.jpg 2.jpg

water.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sm3464

Sep 8, 2012
I don't know much compared to other folks but i would say go up the creek and if you start finding course gold than you are getting closer to the start of it. That's my guess but i am new to California gold. I started out in Arizona.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has the area historically produced bigger gold?
Are there any signs of hard rock mines on the surrounding slopes up stream,or nearby?
I am not familiar with the Ancient river channels down there but is one what your digging from?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simplest thing to do(didn't say easiest) is to keep going uphill till you find bedrock, then sample with about 20 5-gal. buckets of material laying on or
within 6" of bedrock. If you don't find better gold, you can conclude this is not an economical deposit IMO. If you do find better,bigger gold, you can come back down and try sampling different layers in the wall (in your photo). There are sometimes several different paystreaks(layers of gold material) in
desert locations. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you've been given some good advice to research the area to see if there's even coarse gold there, and if there is, then you may indeed have to dig deeper--if there's bedrock within reach (3-6 feet--if you want to dig that deep) or hardpan of some sort to stop the gold. If the research says there was only flour gold, then going up the creek won't matter if the area is only a flour gold deposit. If there is coarse gold in the area, then go up and follow Fullpan's advice. Be sure you have permission and know where you are so you're not heading onto someone else's claim.

Of course--this will only work if there's gold on the bedrock if you do find the bedrock. Sometimes there's not gold on the bedrock and it's deposited in layers above the bedrock, but I think the best thing for you to do is to start with some research of the area and what it produced in the past.

All the best, and I hope you find some good news in your research,

Lanny

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
good advice as always, eyes and ears open and i seem to learn more everyday from you guys thank you

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the input. I do have plenty of room to wonder up. The pics are in the middle of the area I can work. I can up or down 2-3 miles from where I’m currently working. Just wasn’t sure what the best plan of attack should be.

Been waiting for the temps to come down to slow the bugs and any snakes that might be watching, lol I hate them *******s…

I will try to update as the fall winter come in with any new findings…

@Kuger yes some say they have found some nice pickers and one really nice fellow I met out there on my first visit claim to have picked up two nuggies the week before. But I am quickly learning that gold stories are just like fish stories. It’s always should have been here last week and you will never get an exact location …

The fellow was really a nice guy. I let him work for an hour or so with my extra metal detector (AT PRO). So I did believe his story after spending some time with him. Wish I had not lost his freaking number though…

Anyways I have some pig on the smoker that needs some tending to.

1347803984378.jpg

Happy Digging Good People

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also try finding out where the creek moved from and where the vegetation used to grow along the old path. If you can find the old creek path then you will usually find undiscovered gold there.
There are so many tales of ancient river beds that hold the most gold. What you might have found, is the last remaining material in that present creek.

Best of luck to you and please keep us informed.

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a question, if you look at the picture i posted above, if i am finding color in that wall what if one was to go up and over on top and start digging down ? I guess I am trying to figure out is how would gold be in the wall 2-3 feet deep and be at the distance (I'm guessing here as I said but the wall is like 30' high and 40-50' feet away from the creek) these cut in the walls that run down the creek did not just happen like that over a couple years.

I have done a lot of searching and there very little information on the history of this area...

OK I am just rambling on a Sunday morning here. LOL

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see in your pics. The boulders is what you want to see. The hole that you made should hold courser gold. I would dig there like crazy. Kinda like a dog trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake. lol

Enjoy your Sunday. . .

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez! I just can't pull myself away from this site. . .lol

But yeah, after looking at the hole you have made do far. I would open it up enough to park a bus in it. If I could make it there to Cali. I would most definitely lend a hand, if you didn't mind. I would almost be inclined to sell some toys to come out there and maybe even set up a camp. Just as long as there is civilization nearby for the basic necessities.

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol no need to set up camp. I live to close to give up a hot shower and cold beverage....

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a Google shot with the water directions from the last 20 years or so.

water.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread