sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You can rarely get large dollar coins. Only a few banks have them. There was a post about a week ago about someone finding a few morgans in the bag of dollars. Banks usually only can order the new golden dollars.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I always ask for the large dollars and halves, normally placing one of each on the counter to show what it is I'm looking for. Sometimes the teller will pick them up and take them with her to the other tellers to show them and ask if they have any. It sometimes works, as a teller will say, I don't have any of those, but do have these, showing one or the other coin. I buy all I can get. I sell off the large dollar coins when I get a large pile or give them as tips when we eat out. Only a couple of times have the large dollar coins turned out to be a real silver dollar, most of the times they are just spendable. But I always ask.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
You can still get Ike's, Eisenhower, coins at some banks. People have gotten Morgans, Peace, and even Eagles mixed in with them or instead of them. The tellers don't like carrying the larger coins and are usually happy just to get rid of them. There are some Ike proofs that are 40% silver that have an S mintmark. People have also been able to sell them for a small gain on ebay or craigslist.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell all the Ikes I get to a coin dealer. I usually get about 1.20 per coin which I take in trade for silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread