Another railroad relic found on my property today my favorite so far

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Veteran's Day I found a RR spike today a date nail. They were found with in 25 yards of each other. In my driveway gravel (at 6-8")

DSCF1802.JPG DSCF1813 (640x426).jpg DSCF1797.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 4

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like a boundary marker instead of a railroad spike.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to agree with jwbro but reading up again on the date nails it looks like one for sure. 11 is the number? Here's a link on collecting and info on the nails.
Date Nail Info

OP
OP
TKgal

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Pepperj, the date 11 would be in concurrence with when the Southern Pacific Railroad Company owned our property. On my deed history the property transferred sometime in 1913. I have noticed when I dig down about 6 inches under the large gravel, there is chunks of old deteriorating road base. From what I read about date nails, the earliest known was about 1897-98, then the were widely used by the 30's and dropped off in 1969. Very interesting. I will walk my property now to check all my railroad tie fencing. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
TKgal

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JWbro, the picture is deceptive- when by itself, it does look large like a spike sized nail. I have a picture of the RR spike on the the today's finds from Veteran's Day posts.

OP
OP
TKgal

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will walk my property now to check all my railroad tie fencing.
I found a "32" in a RR tie fence post yesterday, but it was raining so the boy's and I did not look long.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I have a few around here somewhere. I had a lot of them years ago but I have no idea where they are, possibly at my moms house somewhere.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
date nails tended to be in used in telegraph line poles to tell the company when the poles were put into place --(they need replacing every so often) - telegraph lines were used by the train companies in the old days to tell each station which train was up or down bound on the line to avoid them running into one another

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread