Another road project... Another seated quarter.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Things have been kind of slow lately. There hasn't really been any "good" looking sites to detect, and it's been raining what seems like forever.
Last week I went back to a town about 45 minutes from home, where earlier, I saw streets and sidewalks downtown all painted up as though they might be going to do some digging. All they did was dug some small holes in the center if the intersection.
Despite the rain, I decided to go back and see if any more work was had been done. Low and behold they had about three blocks tore up as well as most of the sidewalks.
The best coin of the day was an 1875 seated quarter. (This time it didn't have a hole in it). I also got a Brunswick and Balke Colleder Co. token, an 1885 Indian head cent, a silver Washington quarter, 3 wheat's, a buckle with some of the leather still intact, and a small button. There were also several old bent up kerosene lantern tops.
As you can see from the pics, the road had was a little muddy.

Attachments

• 051306 003.jpg
    051306 003.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 593
  • 051306 002.jpg
    051306 002.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mirage said:
Some very nice finds. Seated Quarter choice! IH very nice. Token very cool. Do you think you covered the whole area? Looks fairly large. Were most of the targets in a central area or widely scattered?

Mirage
There is plenty of area to detect there. They had 4 city blocks dug up. I think they plan to move over a block too because there are electric, gas, phone, and water lines marked there also. I was there both on Saturday and Sunday and only saw one guy riding his bike through the mess. Kind of strange that there weren't more people around.
There was so much water in the street that I only covered as much of the "dry", (and I use that term loosely), areas as I could. I also determined that this street must have been dug at least once before because I found a rusty pop can buried about a foot. The Seated quarter was only about 1/2".
There should have been coins under the sidewalk but there wasn't any black dirt under the sand. All the coins were in the road.

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Badger,
If I took all the square nails I found there and put them end to end, they would be almost as long as the one you found. ;D

HH.

Z

ZumbroKid

Remember not to pin point too good. You know what you're old nick name is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread