Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1st time in my life I have found 3 silvers in 1 hunt more than once a season, my 3rd already. Only the 3rd SLQ I have ever found.

This place is huge, it is an upper suburb of a suburb, late last year I had noticed this place had unfortunately burned to the ground, I saw that wide open lawn and thought about it then, but days were very short then plus they had the whole lot blocked off with caution tape, so I passed on it last year.
I like driving around this area, they will occasionally have sidewalk/street tearouts that I have done good on, was looking for something like that when this spot popped into my head. Drove by and pulled into the old driveway which now leads right up on the grass. No "No Trespassing !" signs yet, but being in a ritzy neighborhood I figured I might get the cops called on me.

Jumped out of my truck and headed towards a tree, a lot of the ground that is hard packed and with new grass growth you can tell is either fill for the demolished house or a trampling ground for heavy equipment, both of which I tend to avoid.
First signal I got turned out to be a cutoff disk, right to the left of that got another, and out popped this 1941 quarter, very happy ! Very large former front yard area, found the SLQ and some clad there, then headed off towards the back which has a stream running through it.

Kinda bittersweet working an area like this, you can see the formerly well tended flower beds, little trails and sidewalks the owners put it. Swings hanging from trees, there was 4 nice trees in bulbs waiting to be planted now lying derelict. A former private area of a family suddenly and rudely made public by tragedy. The ground was so soft back here I often didn't even need to put my boot to the shovel to sink it in, found the Merc back here.
This place is littered with underground sprinklers, I hate those things, ring up just like a quarter. You can usually tell them apart by how loud and sharp the signal is, but seeing as I already dug 2 silver quarters, I dug them as I found them anyhow.

So am looking forward to working this lot more, no telling when they might build another house there, prime property.

First pic shows a forlorn mailbox and address plate tacked to a tree. Next pic I am on the other side of the lot back to where I took the 1st pic and found the 1 quarters, my truck barely visible.
Might look like its in the sticks but its not, houses on both sides which I kept a respectable distance from, big houses right across the street, and people walking and jogging all over the place out front because there is a large park nearby.

All finds with Ace 400 and not very deep, still shy of using my Deus.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just pulled up these pics of the house when it was intact.
Circular structure intrigues me, sure didn't notice any trace of it on the ground, then again I wasn't looking for it. Part of the long sidewalk I did see.

Doesn't appear to be a swimming pool or meant to hold water, looks like there is a break in it. Was a gathering spot, had a sun shelter set up to the side.

Probably was a pool, maybe in derelict condition before it was taken down.

Attachments

• Untitled - 1.jpg
    Untitled - 1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 68
  • Untitled - 2.jpg
    Untitled - 2.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silvers. Standing Lib Quarters are always fun to dig.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
circle could be a fire pit? Might have had a small canopy tent propped next to it in that one photo...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story thanks for sharing! Three cool silvers in one area, congratulations! :occasion14:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds, a trifecta always makes the day. Ever thought going to the park, is it old?

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have detected the park a bit over the years, did find a buffalo nickel but aside from that, all clad.
I have looked up its history before, can't find a date but I would say 1930s, and unknown what the land was used for before that. That area has pre civil war houses still standing and occupied, and it really boomed during the war ,,, So any land on that side of town has potential.

Much of the park is used for a huge fireworks display and concerts/carnival ongoing for over 25 years, for that reason I tend to stay away as I have a low tolerance for trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread