Another Silver Rosie, War Nick, Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another Silver Rosie, War Nick', Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff.......

So I had a funeral for an AWESOME cousin who died suddenly for most of the day but I did manage to hit one of my old sports fields for about two hours before it got dark. I sure don't like these short days. It's gettin' chilly when the sun starts dropping out of sight too.

It POURED down rain the night before so the field was still pretty damp. It was perfect actually. The plugs pop out easily and right back in almost perfectly. The grass doesn't even wilt and you can't even tell anyone's been there.

I turned on my detector and about 90 seconds into the hunt my very first target rang up high and clear. About 5 inches down was a 1947 Rosie and only my second silver coin this year. I guess my long drought is really broken. I was even beginning to question my machine but now I know better. I really need to stop second guessing and trust my machine more. After all, it's been very good to me.

Silver Rosie, War Nick; Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff Oct. 10 2015 001.JPG

I can't help but think my cousin had a hand in that one. I've been hunting this field from day one and have never found any silver coinage at all until today. It was in an area I've swung over 100 times (at least).

Then I dug a strange looking bullet. The darn thing looks like a Coke bottle.

Silver Rosie, War Nick; Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff Oct. 10 2015 003.JPG

I also hit a 1945 War nickel in horrible shape but hey; it's still a little more silver so I'm happy with it.

Silver Rosie, War Nick; Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff Oct. 10 2015 002.JPG

The rest of the time and right up until it was too dark to see I found a variety of stuff but nothing remarkable. There's a piece of an old iron tool of some sort, a junk cross, a junk "diamond" pin with genuine imitation glass, half of a junk bracelet, a key, a .410 shell cap, another junk bracelet, a half of a 1967 penny and assorted clad. Not a bad haul for an impromptu hunt. This field always gives up something. It's amazing really. You stay away for a while and more things seem to appear.

Silver Rosie, War Nick; Junk Jewelry & Other Stuff Oct. 10 2015 004.JPG

That's about it. It was an interesting hunt and I did hit some silver so I'm happy.

I also ran into some hikers who lost their bearings and had no clue which direction to go to get out of the woods. So, I told them how to find their way back.

One was a really nice and pretty lady with a young son. I asked where she lived and as it turns out, she recently bought a property where an old house once stood but burned down when I was about 4 years old.

I've always wanted to hunt that spot and now I have permission to hit it any time. She said to just walk back there any time I please. Her boy was very interested and started asking questions about treasure hunting so of course, I offered to take him along. Both she and he said he would love to.

There aren't too many young boys who'll turn their backs on the prospect of finding buried treasure (including this big kid). I guess I'll break out the old Tracker IV and show him how to start swinging it. Maybe I'll get him started on a lifelong awesome hobby.

Another "chance" meeting turns out well. (I don't believe in coincidence BTW). It was all just too perfect.

This was a sad day but one that turned out well in the end. I feel like a little providence came my way. I feel really good and peaceful about the way it all played out. I got silver, made some new friends and got a new and ongoing permission. That's a great day in my book.

That's about it folks. Once again,
Thanks for looking & HH.......

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that looks to be a 7.62 blank training round. Congrats on the nice variety of digs.:occasion14:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope that permission turns out well for you. Congrats on the finds.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry for your loss and congrats on both the finds and the peace they brought you !!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every cloud has a silver lining, your sad day had some joy.

Congrats on the silver and new permission!
Condolences on the loss of your cousin.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for the condolences.

And thank you Loco-Digger for the info on that bullet.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss, Good job on the roosie and war nick (aka OD), hope that permission rewards ya!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss, Good job on the roosie and war nick (aka OD), hope that permission rewards ya!

I actually took a ride to the spot today to check it out and got a bit of a disappointment.

The girl didn't tell me that she not only bought the land but the new house that sits on it as well; exactly where the old house used to stand.
She knew nothing about it and I had no clue that there was a new house built in the same spot as the old one. The lot is way off the road and I haven't been back there in over a decade.

On the upside, she said I can still hunt the property. It may still have good potential. New house or not it's still a 1950's home site. I'll also still take her boy treasure hunting now that he's shown some interest. He's really excited about going and she's already asked me how to go about getting him a detector. I may lend them the Tracker IV so he can see if he likes it enough to spend the money on one.

I have another hunt scheduled for next weekend with two other kids; weather permitting.
We were supposed to go last weekend but that torrential rain from that hurricane ruined that trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job on the roosie and war nick (aka OD), hope that permission rewards ya!

I have to make a note to myself that there is no longer any such thing as a War Nickel.
From now on it's OD Nick' all the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread