Another Small Silver Cookie Coin Yesterday..Wanna take a guess what ??

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I checked out a beach yesterday that I haven't been to since Sandy rolled on through and was in awe at the conditions...I saw things protruding from the sand that I have never seen ever before, which means that beach must have lost a ton of sand..I'm sure that many have been through there , since the storm, but I just was on a scouting mission at different places.. I only hunted there for about 30 mins, but in that time I found 6 coins including a Wheatie about 2-3 inches and this deep super encrusted cookie coin...The coin must have been down in the base layers of the beach at some point, because it had a brownish/gray look to it...I thought it was a really encrusted penny, until I left the area and was checking out my finds..I rubbed away the brown and when the sun hit it I saw that grayish look that we love to see at the beach on our coins..It is about the size of a penny it ios so encrusted, but I'm thinking it's a really layered dime...I tried flaking it and chipping away at it so far with not much luck and now have it soaking...Still don't know what it is at this point, but going to try to get it apart tonight...

Anybody want to take a guess at what it will turn out to be ????

Here is the pic just after finding it yesterday..

CrustyCoin-1.jpg

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Nice find...I'm going to treat myself to 2 guesses: #1) "mercury" dime

#2) Silver "Roosie"

Lorraine

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Could it be a half reale or quarter reale (not sure what the smallest denomination is)? Either way, I hope it is in good nuff condition for you to get a date off from. Congrats on the coin no matter what it is. Sorry to hear bout the storm's damage to the area. Have an Aunt who lives in Perth Amboy and she was without power for quite some time. God Bless America.

OP
OP
Bigpoppa

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Man this sucker is so encrusted that it won't budge, so I'm going to toss it in the tumbler until morning and see if it removes anything at all..I managed to chip away to the rim..Unfortunately it was a reeded edge coin, so that will rule out alot of amazing stuff... Lorraines guesses are starting to look more likely, but we will see tomorrow if there is any details on the front or back..there still is hope :)

OP
OP
Bigpoppa

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
I finally took the plastic edge of the magnifying glass and scraped away at the front and back, after trying every cleaning method possible...

BUMMER !! I am starting to see the portrait of Roosevelt :(
Well looks like another Silver Rosey for the pile.... Maybe an oldie next time :)

CONGRATS on the guess Lorraine :)

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, silver anything is good!!:headbang:

FriscoT06