Another TDI with problems

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
After 3 TDIs with serious problems and each less than a year old can make for an unhappy swinger. I have been using my MXT for about 5 years and have never had a problem with it. I think the MXT is probably the best all around detector out there for nugget shooting, coin shooting and even beach hunting. I discussed this with Todd today, at Whites, and hopefully we will work this problem with the TDI out. I am extremely tired of the standard TDI not lasting a year with continued use. I use my detectors a lot and never abuse them. They do not even have a scratch on them. Whites has treated me good in the past and hopefully, I will get back up again soon....jim

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
Hi, which TDI are you using? Just curious about some of my problems---Thanks

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I have been using the standard TDI for coin shooting, nugget hunting, and beach hunting. Great detector that you can have discrimination with as a PI detector. I can ignore bottle caps, pulltabs, and most nails in a dirty area to pull out pennies, dimes, nickles, gold, quarters and any silver. It is a great coin detector that will go deep to get old coins where other machines cannot go. However, I have had tech problems with 3 different ones. Do not fear. Whites backs their detectors 100% with their 2 year warranty. Yesterday, they let me upgrade to the PRO unit and I think that I will have less problems with it. Whites is a great company with great service. They shipped out a new unit to me today. They received my old one yesterday. How is that for service!!! :tongue3:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love White's,

there is no other detector out their.

look you up graded to a pro and another 2 years warranty.

garret had a lot of problems with there at pro.

but they only change parts.

white's updated you for all your trouble's.

garret and the others can't do that.

that's why there is No other company out there for Me.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only person I know who has had any problems with a TDI (after the first handmade through the hole versions) had the later Pro version so newer doesn't always mean better.

I want detectors to last more than two years though and for the money they sell at Whites should show more confidence in their products. Did Whites suggest what the problem was on the previous three detectors ?

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
My response was more for small individual problems and nothing of a major consequence. Just comparing notes more than anything else. I certainly agree that Whites has the best service department going and would take a back seat to no one. They have spent a lot of time with me on getting problems resolved--more my own fault than theirs. Believe me ----I have no complaints about Whites---

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Brian,

On the first TDI, Whites bought a bunch of bad microprocessors. Mine had one of those and it was returned for one with a new board. That too was not good and it was returned immediately. I was sent a new one. I ended up selling that one on ebay. I again bought a new one on a DIV hunt from a dealer in VA. Unbeknown to me, it had a bad GB potentiometer. It was replaced with a new one that went out on me last week with less than a year on the warranty.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I received a replacement TDI today. I paid an additional $200 for an upgrade to the TDI Pro and I am happy with the exchange. I hope that this TDI will make it through the 2 year warranty. TDIs are great detectors for coin shooting, beach hunting, and gold nugget hunting in ground with very bad mineralization. Yes, they are expensive but then look at the alternative, a GPX 4000, or GPX 5000 for $3,500 to $5,000. The key is, and this is crucial, deal with a company that backs up it's products 100% like Whites Electronics and you will not be sorry you purchased their product. It is American made by American workers. :icon_thumright:

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
liftloop said:
I love White's,

there is no other detector out their.

look you up graded to a pro and another 2 years warranty.

garret had a lot of problems with there at pro.

but they only change parts.

white's updated you for all your trouble's.

garret and the others can't do that.

that's why there is No other company out there for Me.

I see a couple Garretts in your profile... ;D Just kiddin. My Explorer XS lasted me more than 10 years without a single issue. Maybe I just got lucky on that.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites in the good old days often repaired detectors for me that were way outside the warrantry period. Really great service. Unfortunately we had a change of U.K. management and when I bought a DFX just after it came out the coil cover would not stay on as the coil itself was so warped. They didn't think this was an issue though it ground tested over an inch less than another DFX at the same settings.

Eventually they did swap the coil for a new one but followed this up with a letter saying the warranty on the whole detector had now been reduced from the balance of one year eleven months to six months. Needless to say I immediately contacted Whites in the U.S. who then reinstated the balance of the two year warranty.

Hope all issues have been solved in the Pro version. All the more powerful pulse machines seem to have some weakness such as the FETS on the Minelab GPX's.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
U.K. Brian said:
Whites in the good old days often repaired detectors for me that were way outside the warrantry period. Really great service. Unfortunately we had a change of U.K. management and when I bought a DFX just after it came out the coil cover would not stay on as the coil itself was so warped. They didn't think this was an issue though it ground tested over an inch less than another DFX at the same settings.

Eventually they did swap the coil for a new one but followed this up with a letter saying the warranty on the whole detector had now been reduced from the balance of one year eleven months to six months. Needless to say I immediately contacted Whites in the U.S. who then reinstated the balance of the two year warranty.

Hope all issues have been solved in the Pro version. All the more powerful pulse machines seem to have some weakness such as the FETS on the Minelab GPX's.

I hope so too, Brian. I think the reason is because of the increased amperage and voltage that most powerful PIs need. I thought that if this is a problem, then a simple changeable fuse that the owner can change would be appropriate....jim

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a phone call the other day from a TDI owner saying that he and another member of the same club had both had the headphone socket fail (works on headphones but speaker doesn't cut back in when the jack is removed. I said I hadn't heard about this though it would happen with the old 6000's, Spectrums etc after years of use.

Yesterday I wanted to check some settings effects on both the stock DF coil and the 10x14 Razorback. Alas no audio through the speaker. I may open the detector and just replace the headphone jack myself if its just the metal sprung contact thats failed. I certainly spoke too soon !
Just to further irritate me I was sent a waterproof full control box cover from the States (full access to all controls claimed). Only problem is you can't get at the on/off switch without removing the cover totally which involves removing the armstrap and wriggling the cover off the halves of the armrest. Think there's going to have to be a bit of cutting and modification. At least your new version has done away with those "lift to move" switches.

General Hekimer

Oct 22, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Brian I am the person who designed and sold you the TDI rain cover. I'm sorry you do not like this design although I am quite confused about the on/off knob. I have my TDI pro here in my lap and I can quite easily turn the detector on and off without taking off the cover. Actually you can peel the cover back to expose the entire box with out removing it from the armcups so there is absolutely no need to totaly remove the cover for any reason other than cleaning the cover itself. I don't have the standard TDI perhaps the on/off switch is on the side or front on the TDI? The on/off knob on my PRO is in the back right row and is easily accessed without any problems. Brian please keep in mind that I designed this cover to protect your TDI from rain and surf-splash, actually every cover I design is designed with heavy rain in mind. Brian I am always glad to sew covers with any adjustments you would like, if you want any adjustments on future purchases just let me know. Thank you, Darryl Novak.

Attachments

• 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 502

General Hekimer

Oct 22, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologise for the bad picture in the last post. Here is a clearer picture of the cover. Thank you for the great forum Treasurenet. Good luck to all, Darryl.

Attachments

• 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 404
  • 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 471

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
justanotherbarber said:
My Explorer XS lasted me more than 10 years without a single issue. Maybe I just got lucky on that.
But that was when Minelab was Minelab............... Now most Minelab detectors don't work right out of the box.............................

General Hekimer

Oct 22, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I had my hunting buddy bring over his standard TDI so I could test the on/off function for myself with the cover on. Well low and behold it's a toggle and I could easily switch the toggle on and off without even opening the cover. On my TDI pro I do need to open the cover to turn the knob. Brian if you want to pay for shipping I will send you a cover with a door for your switch for free! I always try my hardest to work with my customers until they are satisfied. I spend many hours in the field testing my products before they are listed and being new to the pulse detector I found myself fiddling with the knobs constanly and have no problem making adjustments. The best feature is that the cover almost closes itself after making an adjustment. Hey Keppy! What happened to my favorite avitar???? I do like the new one though.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't switch the detector on with the cover on as the control box material is fairly thick/stiff and that switch does need to be lifted before it can be moved unlike standard switches.

The lefthand switch to bring in GB and discrimination, which is also "lift before shifting", is easier to get to but that righthand one seems impossible without a full peel off job. A flap over each switch would be an easy solution.

Other than that its the first real solution to keeping dust/rain out of the detector I've seen and the price is very good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread