diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find out info on this token.It's copper,measures 19mm or the size of a 1 cent piece.The obverse reads R.G.TYLER across the top and DETROIT,MICH. across the bottom.With WHOLESALE GROCER in the center of the token.The reverse reads BUSINESS CARD in the center and has laurel wreaths wrapping around it like an indian head cent.I think it dates to the civil war era tokens,just not sure.There are just too many tokens books for my wallet to afford.Thanks in advance.Sorry no pics still.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, Diggummup...

Nice find!

Your hunch is right. It's a Civil War token, all right, one of four R. G. Tyler tokens listed for Detroit in U.S. Civil War Store Cards by George & Melvin Fuld— #MI225CI-1a , ...1b, ...2a and ...2b. All list for about the same: $10-20, F-VF, depending on the price guide— but as you can see from the one Gypsy posted from eBay (even though they misattributed it)‚ in fact they often go for quite a bit less.

All the best,
PBK

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PBK.The size is what threw me off as to it being 1930's,that and it's copper.Thanks Gypsyheart for the example.The seller just listed it wrong,I guess.Nice work both of you. ;) :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
diggummup said:
Thanks PBK.The size is what threw me off as to it being 1930's,that and it's copper.Thanks Gypsyheart for the example.The seller just listed it wrong,I guess.Nice work both of you. ;) :)
Nce token digg. Where did you fnd it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread