Another twist to metal detecting

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID
We went metal detecting the other day and it was pretty cold (for Florida, that is). Anyway, we found a utility knife in the sand that was in pretty good shape. Decided to put it on ebay and it got $34.99. Guess that was a good day, wouldn't you say? Has anyone else found anything they were able to sell?

Sorry don't have a photo .

Me? I found lots of bottle caps, nails and a Taiwan coin with Chiang Kai Shek on it supposedly from 1981 in the wet sand.

Attachments

• Chiang Kai Shek front of coin from 1981.jpg
    Chiang Kai Shek front of coin from 1981.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 924
Upvote 0

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Haven't SOLD things I found, but plenty of TRADES - for example, I traded the metal toy cars I found for tokens of all sorts. Love tokens, and those squashed pennies that become memorials for certain tourist sites.

Trades welcome!

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty neat coin. I wonder how many people have ever found one like it. That's one weird looking dude there!

john

OP
OP
fldaphne

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID
davest said:
you got $34.99 for a razor knife?????? :icon_scratch:

one of those knives like a leatherman with all kinds of tools on it (i.e., ruler, pliers, blades, etc) - they sell for quite a bit

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no pics of the one that I sold. But I found a old pulley that was made in the early 1900's and I also put it on ebay and I got $24 for it. I thought that wasn't to bad. I still have 2 other in the garage that I found the same time. Just have not got around to sell them.....Matt

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Last summer I was diving a local river (McKenzie) here in Oregon, and I found a "Sage" brand fly fishing pole and reel. Well, half way back to my exit point, I relized pole was broken , not just taken apart, so I ditched it. I come to find out later that day that it is a 200-300 dollar rod and guarranteed for life. DANG-it!
Well , I still got $175.00 for the reel so I was happy. I went back a few times looking for the rod, to no avail.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vwayne1 said:
Last summer I was diving a local river (McKenzie) here in Oregon, and I found a "Sage" brand fly fishing pole and reel. Well, half way back to my exit point, I relized pole was broken , not just taken apart, so I ditched it. I come to find out later that day that it is a 200-300 dollar rod and guarranteed for life. DANG-it!
Well , I still got $175.00 for the reel so I was happy. I went back a few times looking for the rod, to no avail.

Wow, I wonder whats in that river that could of broke it!!! That or nothing in the water so some tee'd off fisherman broke it over his knee.... ;D

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of along the same lines as you selling the find.....I was detecting an old area about 30 kms from where we lived. Found a huge huge solid gold wedding ring. Close to two ounces of gold. Gave it to my wife when I got home.....mistake.
She, in turn, took it to a jeweler, and had a beautiful necklace and matching set of earrings made for herself.
That was when gold was 32 an ounce. Since gold went up, have wished several times that I had stashed it somewhere.
Anyway, so many things a person can do, when involved in this activity, sport, hobby. And all of them are good.
Good luck in future finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread