Another useful Research Tool for Coinman123, Detecto or anyone else

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In reading Coinman123 and Detecto's post on their research, I thought I would offer something I discovered quite by accident. In my search for old homesteads I was using Google Earth and overlays to find coordinates for the areas to search. However, my main research project has been a local battle of the War of 1812, and with around 300 artifacts cataloged and GPS'ed I needed some way of laying out all the shot I have recovered with terrain features. I had been using Google Earth, but as you know laying this out in Google Earth, if the area is in the woods, all you get is trees. In talking with other researchers it was suggested I use a GIS program, searching the internet I found a FREE GIS program called QGIS.

Having never used a GIS program before,I needed some instruction, thank you YouTube. Here is what you are going to need: QGIS, and a 1 meter DEM (LIDAR) image. Fortunatly here in NYS we have access to the 1 meter DEM, but they are also available for most areas, you will just have to look for them. When you get QGIS I recommend that you do this tutorial - QGIS - for Absolute Beginners

This tutorial covers everything you need to get started.

My discovered secondary use for QGIS and I say a very valuable tool for us relic hunters, in which a 1 meter DEM is great for finding the actual location of old homesteads, roads, and fences which appear on old maps, and which can not be seen in Google Earth. Here is the procedure - Download the DEM for that location,and bring into QGIS>highlight it > go to raster (on tool bar) > to Terrain Analysis > hillshade or you can highlight and right click > select properties > select style > change singleband gray to hillshade. Once in hillshade you will be able to find old cellar holes and other features, some will be more obvious than others, for the unobvious look for shapes that do not appear in nature.] Photos below:

G Earth.JPG Here is the Google Earth Photo Overlay.JPG With overlay Cellers 2.jpg QGIS hillshade

Cellers 3.jpg My locations to hunt

As you can see Google Earth offers you nothing but woods, and even with the overlay it is questionable where the old homestead was on the 1864 map. Looking at the hillshade you can clearly see all the features, fences, old roads, streams and an unexpected 2 cellar holes (Yellow arrows) also note the old road that comes from the main and continues to the second cellar hole none of which is visible in Google Earth. The last photo shows my GPS locations to hunt. Yellow dots are before QGIS and red ones after, but I am going to check them all out. Thanks to QGIS I have found several new locations, that were not visible in Google Earth, and have been able to pinpoint them with my GPS.

I hope this information will help someone.

PS: QGIS can also do infrared from 4 band imagery, which can be useful depending on what you are looking for, and depending on the season of the year the image was taken.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...thank you for sharing this! I had thought before that it would be great to overlay my old maps on GE, but no idea how it could be done. Awesome stuff.

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info, but how do you overlay plat maps on google earth? I've always been wanting to, but don't know how.

Also...I take plat images with a grain of salt, I have 3 for my county...1870, 1902, and 1930, if you print them all out and overlay them, hardly ANY of the houses marked line up.

Last edited:

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems my state...the tiles are only in .LAS files which don't seem to work with qGIS

OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info, but how do you overlay plat maps on google earth? I've always been wanting to, but don't know how.

Also...I take plat images with a grain of salt, I have 3 for my county...1870, 1902, and 1930, if you print them all out and overlay them, hardly ANY of the houses marked line up.

To overlay them in Google Earth (my second photo). Overlay them (one at a time) > Google Earth > add > image overlay, adjust size and transparency, and line up as many of the current features as possible and see if that helps. There are many post here on overlaying. This is assuming you have the images saved as JPGS

OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems my state...the tiles are only in .LAS files which don't seem to work with qGIS

Somewhere you should be able to find a DEM image for your area, if not on the state level, then try government sites. USGC.gov is a possibility.If your county has online property maps, they are GIS based give them a call and try to talk to some who is knowledgeable with GIS or have them refer you to someone else. (That is how I found out about the LIDAR images). They are usually listed as Orthoimagery.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That program seems awesome! I will install it as soon as I get to my computer. Thanks so much :thumbsup:. I did the place marker thing on google earth to make a map of each homestead. I cant wait to try your program.

OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think that there are any DEMs for NH...

There are DEMs for every part of the U.S. Thanks for chiming in Clay, I am almost as new to using this data as Coinman123

Coinman123 - Here are the DEMs for NH GRANIT :: LIDAR Project - also go to the site Clay has recommended, he is far more knowledgeable in this area than I am. You want to get the highest resolution (1 meter) you can find. I do not think, but have never tried, a 10 meter resolution DEM. Just don't think the detail would be there, because you are talking 3.25 feet vs 32.5 feet.

OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a LAS file, now what do I do?

LAS files won't work in QGIS without converting, which is way beyond me. From what I understand LAS are for ArcGIS, not sure, but I don't think they have a free program. Like I have said this stuff is all new to me. I was just lucky to have a DEMs & 4 band images for my state.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for showing us that cool program! I am still having a hard time finding 1-meter DEMs though. The best I have been able to find for my area (NE Ohio) are 1/3 Arc-second.

Do you know of anywhere where I can get 1-meter (or even 1/9 arc-second) DEMs for free?

Thanks again for posting!

-Noah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions