Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dowsing rods on ebay get the copper tips there the best

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would go with the teknetics delta 4000, im not sure if it van be run in water but its super light and u get pretty good depth with it. its also a very good coin hunter, well worth the money.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a new metal detector to purchase. Here is my criteria.

1. $300 maximum to spend.
2. Will be using it for beach & shallow water hunting only. (wet & dry sand)
3. Light weight & if possible (but not necessary) the capability of breaking down (backpack) for travel & storage purposes.

Your not going to find a salt water beach detector that you can run in the water for $300 that is worth anything unless you luck out and find a good used one, and even then you want find even a good used one for $300.... Salt water beach detecting is a whole different ball game from ground, the salt minerals will drive a detector not designed for the salt water nuts... Wet sand is same as in the water, the salt minerals will drive it nuts...... If you want to hunt in the salt water or on the wet salt sand you need to spend close to $500 and that is for a used beach detector....

Your also going to need a good scoop, they are not cheap either.....

donlor

Apr 4, 2007
staten island, ny
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark, tesoro tiger shark, tesoro cibola, goldbug se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree with Treasure_Hunter except for this caveat - i have read of people being satisfied with their DetectorPro Headhunter which you should be able to get used at a reasonable price. i have NEVER used one so i am only saying what i have read.
yes, you will also have to have a good scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with Treasure_Hunter except for this caveat - i have read of people being satisfied with their DetectorPro Headhunter which you should be able to get used at a reasonable price. i have NEVER used one so i am only saying what i have read.
yes, you will also have to have a good scoop.

I did not name it because I have seen too many people who bought it and were not happy with it at all.. Ratio was easily 5+ to 1 who did not like it... Same with the Cobra and Viper only that Ratio is 10-1 or higher....

If someone truly is interested in hunting the salt water beaches they need a good salt water beach detector....Used they will start about $450, starting with the Whites Beach Hunter ID, AT PRO, and have seen Tesoro Sand Shark for $450, no knock against them but they are the ones I usually find starting in the $400+ range....

I have an Excal I picked up for $575 used, hard wired a WOT coil used for $90, and built my own straight shaft for it for under $30....Have a total of $600 in it and I am still using it 2.5 years later....

I have another Excal that has the SEF 12x15" Butterfly coil hard wired on it and I got it for $800 used shipped to my door... I have a Sovereign GT I got new for $800, I gave $400 cash and traded in my Beach Hunter ID that was leaking, it has coil options of a SEF 15x18" Butterfly coil, 15" WOT coil and the stock 10' Minelab coil for it to choose from...

Beach hunting is hard enough with good equipment, I can't with good concious tell someone to start off with poor equipment....

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you're talking wet and dry sand, you are no doubt talking salt water areas. Those areas are the domain of the PI machines. How about 300 and then another 300 for the machines... for starters. TTC

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do without "proper" discrimination and get a secondhand pulse machine from Whites (Surfmaster Pi) or C-Scope (6Pi or 4 Pi). All can be picked up cheap. Few controls so little chance of ignoring targets by incorrect adjustment. A degree of discrimination by audio depending on the shape of the target.

The Whites are waterproof and have headphones hard wired in, the cheaper C-Scopes are not and you would have to buy phones so the prices could work out similar. Then for a discriminator buy a good land machine not one of the "jack of all trades, master of none ones"

Joven76

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2012
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all... I have a question in regards to this thread... I admit, I am a newbie and I thought I did my research into purchasing a machine to start with, and went with a Fisher F2 which I will have tomorrow... However feel I may have jumped the gun a bit on that purchase... I'm primarily going to use this machine on land, but being about an hour and a half from the NC coast, I would like it to be able to do some beach hunting as well... What would be a good mid-range machine that multi-purposed... Are the beach detectors able to be used on land or will I need to purchase another MD to be used on the beach ??? Should I try to return the F2 and get something a bit better ???

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ham, you are not going to find a good beach detector for that money, read what everyone said.

Joven76, since most of your time will be hunting land, I'd stick with the F2. It will work well in all the dry sand for lost coins and jewelry too. It will not be good in the wet saltwater sand because of falsing. Many say a Garrett AT PRO is OK at the salt beaches, but I wouldn't use one. For just the occasional trips to the beach you'll make, try to get a Tesoro Sand Shark used. Its very deep and won't be bothered by the salt concentrations in the wet sand.

Both of you read my signature below.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't you get an old Sovereign or CZ5 or 6 in the States for $300 ? In Europe they run at $300 to $400 and the starting price for new detectors can be 50% or more higher which keeps the secondhand price up in turn. Keep out of the water but following the tide out and use low tides to get you on most of the beach that the waders are working. Use the gold then to upgrade to a waterproof machine later if you still want to.

Joven76

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2012
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joven76, since most of your time will be hunting land, I'd stick with the F2. It will work well in all the dry sand for lost coins and jewelry too. It will not be good in the wet saltwater sand because of falsing. Many say a Garrett AT PRO is OK at the salt beaches, but I wouldn't use one. For just the occasional trips to the beach you'll make, try to get a Tesoro Sand Shark used. Its very deep and won't be bothered by the salt concentrations in the wet sand.

Both of you read my signature below.

Thanks for the tip... That's kind of what I thought... But as for my other question, I know I'm just learning and that an F2 is a good starter machine, however I want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck... Is the F2 the best choice for me or should I have gotten a different unit???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread