Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching your readout instead of your coil.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You weren't necessarily doing anything wrong. The Garrettt and all other metal detectors that I have had exposure to only provide you with their best guess regarding the items that enter the magnetic fields they project.

Now many times the aluminum can will simulate different metals due to the shape of the crushed can, the piece of the can, in many cases of canslaw (mowed over can) the pieces each can register differently. The only way to absolutely determine what the item happens to be is to visually inspect it.

You have no doubt heard by now about the pulltab. It registers in exactly the same position as some gold rings will register in. So again if you get a consistent, repeatable beep, the best real discrimination is a visual inspection, meaning beep?-dig!

It is possible that due to the mineralization in your soil and the sensing done by the Garrett 300 that a can will always show up as a dime on that machine. You should still dig every one, however, by moving the coil left to right and back and forth, you may be able to determine that the size of the detected item is too large for a dime. (Frankly unless I'm really tired I'd dig it anyway, because the can might be masking a very good item that is underneath it).

Target masking is one of the reasons we're always told to re-check your hole. The item you removed might not be the only item in the immediate area and may have been masking or hiding a better item in the same area.

Keep at it, I think Mr. Garrett said spend at least 100 hours with your machine set to basic settings before you begin to experiment. This was said I think to make sure you have begun to learn the machine in it's basic detecting mode, and after you've done that you will better be able to understand what difference the changes in settings do when you're in the field.

Good luck and welcome to one of the most fascinating hobbies that exists. You're already on the best detecting site in the nation!

Be blessed!

M

miser

Bill is absolutely right. I use a Minelab right now that gives a number rather than trying to identify a specific coin. But a penny can show up with 3 or 4 different numbers. Those identifiers are just a guideline. You shouldn't treat them as a promise, which I used to do. It didn't take me long to learn otherwise.

Regardless of the display, you will learn to key in the strength and solidity of the tone your machine makes. That is what will convince you to dig or not.

But know this: it is very hard to block out aluminum cans or pulltabs without also wiping some potentially great finds (gold). Just goes with the territory. Best of luck to ya! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.......good to know that I'm not the only one this has happened to......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with detectors with screens and displays is some can rely too much on then, display is still an educated guess..............Your coil gives you a lot of info the display doesn't.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i use my beep and dig machines, I size the target by pinpointing, no distraction from a screen

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
jharhed pushed the real issue. You have to learn pinpointing, and outlining. De-tune during pinpointing and you will "see" I mean hear, the true outline and size of the target.

jwelch66

May 4, 2010
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-70 pro Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some really great answers from these guys. My advice would be start learning in school yards where there is less junk. Dont get frustated! It takes time to learn your machine. Practice makes perfect. Good Luck ! ! !

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Another check when you are in doubt, wide signal etc. is pinpoint and depth says 1 or two inches deep, lift the coil 5 inches or more and pinpoint, if it still says 1 or 2 inches you most likely have another can or a metal box full of old coins ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a machine "guesses" what its found due to the amount of disturbance caused to the electric feild by the metal item found --some items are very close electronic wize as far as how much they disturb the feild --gold rings and pulltabs * are a prime exsample -- also differant sized items with differant levels of electronic disturnance can ring up "total wize" as the same --- say like --- a aluminum can and a silver dollar / half dollar :wink: :icon_thumright:

depth is the same --the machine "guesses" the depth based on a coin sized item --so it too can be off.--remember he machine doesn't lie --however it can guess wrongly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread