Answers for the Juls Trade Token

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Answers for the Jul's Trade Token

Hello, Thought I would let you know what I've found about the Jul's trade token. Have been told that in both books about Kentucky Trade Tokens this one isn't listed.

Had spent a few days at the library with no luck and was getting disappointed about the whole research thing. Had went through all the City Directories from 1930 to 1960 these are the years that was told to me when trade tokens were popular. Here is where a big THANK YOU goes to my friend Buckleboy. Gave him a call and he instructed me on how to research properly. Said to keep digging and look deeper in the directories going back to the 1800's to hit all the bases for these tokens were used for many years.

Jul's Cafe opened in 1917 in downtown Louisville listed under Saloons until 1919. From 1920 until closing in 1924 was listed under Soft Drinks. As I sat there trying to figure out why there wasn't any Saloon listings from 1920 why or what had changed it finally dawned on me Prohibition. To sum it all up it was at the same address from opening in 1917 until closing sometime in 1924 starting out as a saloon.

Jimmy T

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Answers for the Jul's Trade Token

I'm happy for you, Jimmy T! Having the history of what we find makes the objects themselves much more meaningful. It is great that you got a piece of local history there, rather than just another circulated coin. I'm glad you dug this one out (both out of the ground and research-wise!). Now it looks like you should contact someone involved with the KY token books, and provide them with photos and the history you have posted here. That way others can identify this token as well. Congratulations!

All the Best,

Buckleboy

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Congratulations on your appreciation of history and your ability to attribute this maverick token. You should contact Jack Siles- President of IKO-TAMS(Indiana Kentucky Ohio Token and Medal Society). He is the Mavericks & Kentucky token Editor. He is currently involved in a new token book for Kentucky. Thanks for posting your token info< daytondigger

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D

Research really pays off..Sometimes you have to step back and ask for assistance from other people. It is great that you have a friend who shares your same passion.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding research and a great piece of history! I really enjoy finding tokens. Now I have to go find the picture and post. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread