Ant and Ray hit the dirt together!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I called Anthony up last night to see if he was heading out for some detecting this morning and sure enough he was up for a hunt. We met early am (while it was still cool) at a spot that both of us have separately visited before with our detectors. This was the place where Anthony had found his half dime, by the way. After chatting for a while we fired up his Minelab SE and my Tesoro Silver uMax in an area where Anthony had pulled out a few wheats and a couple mercs.

I went across a dirt road to detect another dirt road that T'ed into the first dirt road. What caught my attention were a few old foundation stones and broken bricks. Within just a minute I got a signal that cut off a tad over my 5 cent mark on my disc knob. After pulling it out I knew I had a coin but it didn't look modern. Then I thought it must be a buffalo, or maybe a token. Then I looked closely and realized I had a 1907 V nickel–my very first!!! You folks don't know how long I have been trying to find one of these and have come up empty.

I yelled at Anthony to come over and see what I found, and after a minute of cheerful glee we hunted that area hard but nothing else surfaced. We then went over to another spot but didn't spend long there because it was somewhat in plain sight of traffic. By then it got a bit too warm for detecting and we parted ways. We were only out for a couple of hours total but we had a lot of fun!

The V nickel is not in the best shape but I'll take it.

Here are a few pics. The last pic shows just how trashy part of this area is!

Ray

Attachments

• ant_ray.jpg
    ant_ray.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 782
  • obverse.jpg
    obverse.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 769
  • reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 770
  • trash.jpg
    trash.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 770
Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Man, you aren't kidding!
That's a lot of trash and; excellent pictures!
Congrats on your V nickel find. You may be surprised
how she cleans up!

GRB

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks GRB!

Yeah, there's tons of trash, but at least we didn't run into a rattler like Anthony did last time! lol I probably would have killed it and brought it home for dinner if it was me.

I was planning on returning to this same place tonight when it cooled off but I just got a call from a guy here in Banning who takes care of a house built back in 1902. He told me he spoke to the owners and they said "it's a go" for me to detect. Wahoo!!

I'll let you all know if I find anything.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Ty!

The nickel cleaned up fairly well using Lime Away diluted with a bit with water, but I stopped when I noticed the reddish patch on the reverse side starting to come through. I might try cleaning it further with vinegar and salt to try and get the rest of the corrosion off.

I also noticed there is a nick on the edge of the coin, but I did not put it there with my digger!

Ray

Attachments

• Vobverse.jpg
    Vobverse.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 588
  • Vreverse.jpg
    Vreverse.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 581

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Wow that V Nickel cleaned up nicely. It was nice hunting with you Ray. When it cools down a bit we can make it a full day. I have some other prospects that cough up oldies too, they are close by too. Thanks for a great hunt and the nice pictures too.

HH and good luck.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT picture of you two!!! 8)
That site looks like it would be a doozy to detect, though! :P :D
Congrats to you on that first V! It cleaned up great! And congrats to Ant on those finds too!

Nana :wink:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet coin Ray and nice clean up.....The last pic look's like something off the "Mad Max" movie :D :thumbsup:

S

Scots Gaelic

OK so I have to say you got guts hunting there. Had to be frustrating! Nice find!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
That's an olive orchard Marcus. You must be one of the guys that fly the ultra-lights around there. How did you get such a clear overhead photo?

And Ra,y how did you clean the nickel?

Thanks

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
very nice job on the V nickel! Dude that area is really trashy! I am surprised that you found that coin in there! :) Congrats! :thumbsup:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Keep on hitting that place like there is no metal datecting tomorraw. :thumbsup: I can just see an 1860 half dime sitting in that historic dirt.

Kyle

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone!

Wirebender, as Ant said those are olive trees. That's where I took the picture of the trash but not exactly where Anthony and I were detecting, but close. Dang, how did you know where we were?

Anthony, I used Lime Away diluted with water, about a 50/50 solution. I diluted it because when I tried full strength Lime Away on some Buff nickels it took off the top layer of metal and exposed the copper. On the V nickel you can just barely see the copper coming through on the backside, which is why I stopped soaking it.

Ray

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
Ray,...hehe.. I have my ways of knowing where people are!! I got the digger by the way. thanks!!

Ray in CA said:
Thanks everyone!

Wirebender, as Ant said those are olive trees. That's where I took the picture of the trash but not exactly where Anthony and I were detecting, but close. Dang, how did you know where we were?

Anthony, I used Lime Away diluted with water, about a 50/50 solution. I diluted it because when I tried full strength Lime Away on some Buff nickels it took off the top layer of metal and exposed the copper. On the V nickel you can just barely see the copper coming through on the backside, which is why I stopped soaking it.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
wirebender said:
Ray,...hehe.. I have my ways of knowing where people are!!

Yeah, I bet that was you I saw in that ultra light on Saturday morning before Anthony showed up, LOL.

I got the digger by the way.thanks!!

What digger? ???

Oh wait...you mean you went and bought the gator digger like I did? It works pretty good, but today I hit some super duper compact soil–I mean like cement–and the best I could do was SCRAPE the dirt as opposed to dig it out.

Ray

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It almost looks like that place flooded and all that trash washed on in..Reminds me of Hurricane Katrina!!

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
Opps.. Ray I didn't mean to type that in here, i was answering an email and was distracted, that wasn't for this reply, the 1st part was for you only.

No I was at work that day, and I don't fly, but I konw my way around the internet and a small bug told me a wile back..

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

marcus

Ray in CA said:
wirebender said:
Ray,...hehe.. I have my ways of knowing where people are!!

Yeah, I bet that was you I saw in that ultra light on Saturday morning before Anthony showed up, LOL.

I got the digger by the way.thanks!!

What digger? ???

Oh wait...you mean you went and bought the gator digger like I did? It works pretty good, but today I hit some super duper compact soil–I mean like cement–and the best I could do was SCRAPE the dirt as opposed to dig it out.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
I think I know that small bug, hehe.

Ray

Top Member Reactions