002.JPG
    977 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love-em to .

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, I love Gardners.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe, congrats on that awesome CW lead! Antietam...just a quick story regarding that location..I raced the GNCC (Grand National Cross Country) Series in the mid eighties to mid nineties. The twelve or so locations we raced at every year were usually the same places, starting out in Okeechobee, then Georgia, SC...and so on. In '93 there was a new track added to the schedule, Whiskey Ridge Maryland. At that point, history was not one of my priorities, but I sure wish it had been. It was a great venue, and at the awards banquet that year, Whiskey Ridge was voted "favorite track" by the racers. I could not tell you the exact location of that race, but I remember hearing some chatter at the race about the Battle of Antietam, one of the bloodiest battles of the CW. At the awards banquet, the race promoter, Dave Coombs (RIP), asked us if we had walked the 9 mile track before the race, or parts of it, then asked us if we had found anything. No one had. Dave told us while he was laying out the course the week before, he found a sword. He said it appeared to be of CW origin, and was a surface find. We never raced there again, which was a shame as it was one of the most beautiful places we've ever had the pleasure of racing at. Again, congrats on your awesome CW lead and for kick-starting that memory for me. Ddf.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe, congrats on that awesome CW lead! Antietam...just a quick story regarding that location..I raced the GNCC (Grand National Cross Country) Series in the mid eighties to mid nineties. The twelve or so locations we raced at every year were usually the same places, starting out in Okeechobee, then Georgia, SC...and so on. In '93 there was a new track added to the schedule, Whiskey Ridge Maryland. At that point, history was not one of my priorities, but I sure wish it had been. It was a great venue, and at the awards banquet that year, Whiskey Ridge was voted "favorite track" by the racers. I could not tell you the exact location of that race, but I remember hearing some chatter at the race about the Battle of Antietam, one of the bloodiest battles of the CW. At the awards banquet, the race promoter, Dave Coombs (RIP), asked us if we had walked the 9 mile track before the race, or parts of it, then asked us if we had found anything. No one had. Dave told us while he was laying out the course the week before, he found a sword. He said it appeared to be of CW origin, and was a surface find. We never raced there again, which was a shame as it was one of the most beautiful places we've ever had the pleasure of racing at. Again, congrats on your awesome CW lead and for kick-starting that memory for me. Ddf.

It is leads like this that can turn into a hunt of a lifetime.

mspence

Aug 25, 2011

I raced the whiskey GNCC myself and yeah that was a hot area for Civil War action

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raced the whiskey GNCC myself and yeah that was a hot area for Civil War action

So cool!! That race was one if the few I didn't finish, you might remember a high speed fire break that went up and over before narrowing back down into the woods...it was at this point that the RF spindle broke, digging the a-arm into the dirt, while tapped out in 5th gear. A couple mud fleas came to my rescue and Mr. Coombs himself dragged me back to the pits. Good to hear from another old woods racer...Ddf.

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
Ouch!!!! Never a good time snap a spindle never mind fifth gear, sets up for a good yard sale!
The black water and 100 got me a few times it was tough on bikes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread