Antique Cannon (Estate Sale find)

BookZach

Oct 12, 2019
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old cannon at an estate sale this week and I'm trying to find out just about anything about it - its age, possible value, etc. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

IMG-7389.jpg

IMG-7390-1.jpg

IMG-7391.jpg

IMG-7392-1.jpg

IMG-7393.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BZ,.
Welcome to Treasurenet !!

Letting us know the length of the 'chase', first and second reinforcements, the overall length and the diameter of the bore, will facilitate ID-ing your gun. Also note if there are any markings on the gun, including at the ends of each trunnion.
Don.......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This IMO is an English swivel gun.

Great find BTW.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please more pictures... a close up of bore... sides... particularly the trunion ends... Also... seems I see a "seem" down sides... picture of this as well.

Please measure the bore size and one more thing... while staring down bore place a flashlight on the touch hole and see if light passes into bore... IF it is blocked this will not be possible.

IF it seems blocked... clean the touch hole with something to see IF you see any shiny metal sealing bore.

IF you see shiny metal... do not remove it... it was deliberately put there.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ?

Looks like you are unfamiliar with cannon.

Really? If those boards are 6 inches wide which is the most common size. That puts the length at 2 feet+ a few inches. The bore based on the same would be about an inch. The base is obviously missing of the swivel gun and its locking collar trunnions as well. A bit quick with the blade I think.

It was just guesses on the size, calm down

OP
OP
B

BookZach

Oct 12, 2019
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for your very helpful inputs so far.

AARC - I've attached some more pictures. I stared down the bore and do not think I see blockage or shiny metal. I believe I'm seeing through to the other end, but can't quite tell what is down there...hard to tell if it's cobwebs and other random debris or something else entirely that has aged or been obscured beyond the point of my amateur recognition.

It is a little over 33.5 pounds.

IMG-7398-1.jpg

IMG-7399-1.jpg

IMG-7400.jpg

IMG-7401.jpg

IMG-7403.jpg

IMG-7404-1.jpg

More pictures coming...

-------

IMG-7395.jpg

IMG-7396.jpg

IMG-7411-1.jpg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a test. Pour a small amount of water down the barrell and see if any comes out the touch hole. I like your find!

OP
OP
B

BookZach

Oct 12, 2019
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No such luck. The touch hole is impenetrable:

IMG-7410-1.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks all for your very helpful inputs so far.

AARC - I've attached some more pictures. I stared down the bore and do not think I see blockage or shiny metal. I believe I'm seeing through to the other end, but can't quite tell what is down there...hard to tell if it's cobwebs and other random debris or something else entirely that has aged or been obscured beyond the point of my amateur recognition.

It is a little over 33.5 pounds.

IMG-7398-1.jpg

IMG-7399-1.jpg

IMG-7400.jpg

IMG-7401.jpg

IMG-7403.jpg

IMG-7404-1.jpg

More pictures coming...

-------

IMG-7395.jpg

IMG-7396.jpg

IMG-7411-1.jpg

I see cast marks on your piece, indicating that it was never intended to be fired, the touch hole is likely blocked because it never went through, a decoration piece only, nice find though

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it weren't corroded you could drill it out and use it if you wanted to. Just don't use anything but a low powder charge and a packed newspaper wad. It will make a good boom but not enough backpressure to burst. My dad used to fire stuff like this in our yard in better days.

As for the rest of it I feel fully vindicated.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? If those boards are 6 inches wide which is the most common size. That puts the length at 2 feet+ a few inches. The bore based on the same would be about an inch. The base is obviously missing of the swivel gun and its locking collar trunnions as well. A bit quick with the blade I think.

It was just guesses on the size, calm down

I am calm... response was to the trunnions comment...

Not only are they intact... but the piece your referring to as a "locking collar" is called a "cap square".

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it weren't corroded you could drill it out and use it if you wanted to. Just don't use anything but a low powder charge and a packed newspaper wad. It will make a good boom but not enough backpressure to burst. My dad used to fire stuff like this in our yard in better days.

As for the rest of it I feel fully vindicated.
This is a cast iron cannon, I would not fire anything out of it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions