Antique flexible pewter bowl and 1700s Trefid spoon?

2into4

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2018
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pixlr.jpg
Does anyone know anything about this bowl. It appears to be a very flexible pewter bowl about a foot 12" across and has "CHINA" etched in the bottom. Please help. I will post for spoon.

Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decorative base to hold a vase, maybe for flowers etc. I don't think it is flexible, just easy to bend ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

2into4

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2018
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess the definition of flexible in this case is unclear to me. And yes it is very easily bendable. Do you think there is a hazard of lead or what do you think of age, is it even old?

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, your 'bowl' looks to be made of stamped heavy aluminum rather than pewter. :icon_scratch:

With the 'CHINA' mark, I'd say that it's a modern piece as opposed to 18thc.
It's definitely had a vase or something wet sitting in it.

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP

2into4

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2018
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stamped heavy aluminum eh. Ok, well that's unfortunate but welcome news. Do you by chance know about Trefid spoons? I have another post about it.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"The word Trefid (or Trifid) means divided or split into three parts, which can be seen at the top of the handle and explains why it has this name. The handle is thickest nearer the bowl section of the spoon and becomes thinner as it reaches the upturned Trefid end. The spoon has had many variations; however the flat stem which gradually spreads to the upward turned Trefid end is the part of the spoon which has remained the same throughout its life. Although, the spread of the terminal moved downward towards the bowl at around 1700s and became more elaborate with decoration and some were even gilded.

Back in the 16th century you would generally have one spoon which you would use at all mealtimes and wash in-between uses, unlike the current day where it is normal to have a full set of cutlery in a household. It was also deemed a sign of class if your spoon was made from anything other than wood, let alone if you have one at all. It is suggested that silver spoons came to Britain with the Romans however, the Trefid spoon originated in France; the French call it ‘Pied de Biche’ which translated means Deer’s foot. It is said that Charles II while in court in France noticed they used a specific type of spoon called the Trefid and this was how it was introduced to Britain in 1660. Trefids are termed ‘the French Fashion Spoons’ and the style spread very quickly throughout the United Kingdom; in part due to the British people who took their old spoons to the silversmiths to have it melted and made into the new Trefid style."

Here are some examples of 17th & 18thc Trefid Spoons. :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• dscn7447_2.jpg
    dscn7447_2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 74
  • a7077a-trefid-spoon_1522_detail.jpg
    a7077a-trefid-spoon_1522_detail.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 79
  • William and Mary Silver Trefid Spoon - Dorothy Grant_William & Mary Silver Trefid Spoon.Jpg
    William and Mary Silver Trefid Spoon - Dorothy Grant_William & Mary Silver Trefid Spoon.Jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread