Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my mother's back yard that I've been working on. The ground is old but full to the brim with iron which made detecting difficult but eventually I found a few decent targets to dig. No coins and nothing super interesting until I pulled this from the ground. I couldn't tell what the target was because of all of the iron interference but I figured at best it was a clad quarter at around 4 inches. I dug, and dug, and dug some more. I had a hole over a foot and a half in diameter and 12 inches deep before I hit the corner of this (I have since ordered a Garret Pro-pointer. Can't wait to try it out). I yanked on the uncovered corner thinking it was trash sheet metal or the remains of a burn barrel. Then I saw the very distinct holes on the top and bottom and instantly knew what it was. I took considerably more care unearthing the plate and went straight to the upper right corner where I knew the date would be. 1937 is officially the oldest thing I have dug out of the ground in my few (15+) digs I have been able to do. Pretty cool. I'm going back tomorrow to dig in the yard some more. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a older guy who I always see at art shows,who makes birdhouses with old licences plates for the roofs.He charges between $15 to $75 for a house and tells me,that everytime he sets up a table he sells out, and that he brings at least 20 houses at time.His oldest plate was a 1937 farm truck plate. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
There's a older guy who I always see at art shows,who makes birdhouses with old licences plates for the roofs.He charges between $15 to $75 for a house and tells me,that everytime he sets up a table he sells out, and that he brings at least 20 houses at time.His oldest plate was a 1937 farm truck plate. :thumbsup:

I'm going to hold on to it for now. Mostly because it is my oldest find in my childhood yard.

Thankd for the nod Pl8man. I think it is really interesting too and I have my brother tracking down the records to see what it was on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread