🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Antique painting help!

renykeny

Jul 21, 2023
Antique painting! Hi all..dunno if any help on this forum, but just picked what seems to be a very old oil on canvas painting at a garage sale! story was that was purchased in italy in 60s…anyone know the era painted and any other tips..i think i did good at 100 bucks..but not sure!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 22

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Yep, @Doubter in MD has it right. The work is catalogued as “Master of the Female Half-Lengths (A concert with a singer, flautist, and lutenist)". Believed to have been painted in the 1520s or 1530s by an unknown artist from the Southern Netherlands. Four contemporary versions of this painting are known to exist (all accounted for in collections), differing in minor details.

This one (of the four known) went to Auction at Sotheby’s in London recently with an estimate of £100,000 - £150,000 although I don’t know what the hammer price was, or if it actually sold.

Sottheby's.jpg

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...a-concert-with-a-singer-flautist-and-lutenist

As a starting assumption, yours will be a later copy, but it would need some closer examination to check what kind of copy (original oil on canvas, paint-enhanced canvas-bonded print or whatever), how old it might be, and what value it might have. It looks to be very faded and/or dirty, although that’s not necessarily a sign for great antiquity.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

renykeny

Jul 21, 2023
Do a google reverse image search.

"Three Female Musicians by Master of the Female Half-Lengths" This looks like a copy of that work.

No time to figure out what that means exactly. I am at work. I'll add more later if others don't.
Thankyou! I did and wow! It appears to be very very old..was purchased in italy in early 60s by a canadian service member after the war!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

renykeny

Jul 21, 2023
Welcome to Tnet.

Yep, @Doubter in MD has it right. The work is catalogued as “Master of the Female Half-Lengths (A concert with a singer, flautist, and lutenist)". Believed to have been painted in the 1520s or 1530s by an unknown artist from the Southern Netherlands. Four contemporary versions of this painting are known to exist (all accounted for in collections), differing in minor details.

This one (of the four known) went to Auction at Sothebey’s in London recently with an estimate of £100,000 - £150,000 although I don’t know what the hammer price was, or if it actually sold.

View attachment 2094859

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...a-concert-with-a-singer-flautist-and-lutenist

As a starting assumption, yours will be a later copy, but it would need some closer examination to check what kind of copy (original oil on canvas, paint-enhanced canvas-bonded print or whatever), how old it might be, and what value it might have. It looks to be very faded and/dirty, although that’s not necessarily a sign for great antiquity.
Thankyou! Now i have something to go n..its not a new repro....its very very old..and very dirty..

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread