tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked this up at a thrift store this last weekend. It was in the brick-brack section and not in the jewelry case. It was framed in this little shadow box and as I observed it closely I could see it wasn't some piece of costume jewelry put in a display case. It was something extraordinary. It is a piece of genuine reverse carved rock crystal. It has a total of 18 small rose cut diamonds set in silver. The silver frame then supports the rock crystal set in gold. It is hallmarked on the pin and silver frame, that look like a typical French type marking, but maybe Austrian ? It measures in a 1-1/2" x 1-3/4" oval. My guess is it's maybe from the late victorian era and possibly older?. I'm not finding any info yet on these obscured tiny little hallmarks, but I'm satisfied this piece speaks for itself as something of real beauty and value. It set me back just under 20 bucks and a little work getting it out of it's totally nailed shut secure encasement.

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_063111.jpg
    IMG_20180425_063111.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20180425_063423.jpg
    IMG_20180425_063423.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20180425_063345.jpg
    IMG_20180425_063345.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20180425_063513.jpg
    IMG_20180425_063513.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 173
Yeah I think Austrian silver mark, then 585 for the gold, then what is the last mark - does it say I2?

Yeah I think Austrian silver mark, then 585 for the gold, then what is the last mark - does it say I2?
I'm not sure what that is, as I thought it was a snake at first. The marks I'm seeing that closely resemble these are of the Austro-Hungarian era. I did find a post on a jewelry forum where someone had a similar mark and someone replied it's a fox head and it was used for .585 gold on pieces that contained less than 10 grams of .585 purity. There so many odd marks out there it's kind of mind-boggling

it looks like Polish gold marks (12K Warsaw)
View attachment 1583020
Well I believe your spot on Zom, There are a total of 3 marks I found like that. None have a clear detail of the head profile like the reference in the chart you posted, but all 3 I can clearly see the 4 W. So it's made of 50% gold in places, except the diamond mounts which are clearly made of silver. The diamonds are rather small, but the larger ones are old mine cut and the smaller ones are crude rose cut. I'm glad someone mounted it in a shadow box like they did or it would have been investigated more closely by those thrift store jewelry sorter's down at the main receiving hub in Denver. They miss things down there from time to time, but not very often anymore. That's the first piece of polish jewelry I've ever come across. Maybe I'll celebrate the find tonight by cooking me up some Polish sausage or some golumpki if I can remember the recipe, like the Polish gal would cook I once was engaged to so long ago.

Last edited:
Is the piece marked sterling in some way? If not I'd suspect the metal the diamonds are set in is white gold.

Nice! That's a beautiful piece. You don't find rock crystal pieces too often that's for sure. I've only come across a couple in the last 10-12 years. I see more camphor glass than rock crystal.

I bought a small shadow box last week with something mounted in it. Turned out to be a broken ladies belt clip. Nice looking Art Deco piece but kinda worthless in it's present state. Win some lose some.

Is the piece marked sterling in some way? If not I'd suspect the metal the diamonds are set in is white gold.
No marks on those other than the heavy black oxidation on the diamond mounts. Setting diamonds in silver was common in the 19th century on some jewelry. The idea was the silver when then bright and shinny would enhance the diamonds under candlelight, as that was the common form of lighting in those days. I saw an appraiser explain that on antiques roadshow as he was appraising a early 19th century piece of jewelry. It could be a clue to how this piece is?

Nice! That's a beautiful piece. You don't find rock crystal pieces too often that's for sure. I've only come across a couple in the last 10-12 years. I see more camphor glass than rock crystal.

I bought a small shadow box last week with something mounted in it. Turned out to be a broken ladies belt clip. Nice looking Art Deco piece but kinda worthless in it's present state. Win some lose some.
Oh yeah, I've got a few things I've gambled and lost on. Some things were worth it at the time of purchase, but not so hot today or what I saw in it, ain't the same thing everyone else sees in it. I'll be having a yard sale for that stuff here soon. This buying and selling of used items can be a gamble. Still, I'm positive the odds are better then Vegas or finding a gold strike out there that'll make you rich. Sadly the pieces of ivory I've accumulated may just go cheap in my yard sale. eBay gave me a strong warning about me posting my carved bone jewelry, that could result in me loosing my membership.

Last edited:
i found a ring with similar marks years ago, never did figure out what the other two marks were, i assumed 1 was an import or export mark, and the other was a makers mark. but that is just a guess. beautiful piece !

i found a ring with similar marks years ago, never did figure out what the other two marks were, i assumed 1 was an import or export mark, and the other was a makers mark. but that is just a guess. beautiful piece !
I did find an austro-hungarian marked gold ring in a thrift store once. It wasn't real fancy and I sold it for scrap value. It's always nice to see things like this slip through these thift stores. This piece is pretty unique and will go in my collection of finer jewelry I've found.

Very nice finds! :occasion14:

Happen to be at my moms (the supreme jewelry queen of nyc) and she said a few grand on that piece would be normal.

Happen to be at my moms (the supreme jewelry queen of nyc) and she said a few grand on that piece would be normal.
Really! Well give thanks to your Mom for me.
I've been looking on line in hopes to get a better pinpoint on the age, but most of what I'm seeing seems a little conflicting. I'm still thinking is was made was made in around 1870s to 1890s. Also I'm not finding much in the way of vintage jewelry made in Poland.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back