antique store shopping

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Have any of you had any luck in antique shops? It seems most are a rip off, but I'm sure there are some deals to be had. I got a war nickel for. 22 cents. I was stoked on that.

I often find that many of the Antique Stores and Shops overprice any coins they have. However, occasionally, you can find one that is reasonable or you can negotiate with on coins.

Frank

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You can sometimes find some good deals.I saw a 14k pocket watch in one a few years ago for 65 bucks,unfortunately i didnt have the cash.Buying from them is one thing,selling to them is a whole different story.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an antique store about an hour from my house and found a pound of coins for $10. I opened it up and added up the values and I couldn't believe my eyes! The total value ended at around $650!

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit some antique shops with the wife yesterday, and, as usual, my eyes were drawn to the coin display cases. And as usual, most of the prices were off the charts high. $12.00 for a SBA just because someone decided to place it in a 2X2? I've got better SBAs in the coin tray of my car (no joke). The closest thing I found to reasonable was a box of junk silver halves (A few Walkers, but mostly Franks and Kens) at $10.00 each. Still too high, as I currently buy these by the roll at around $8.00 per coin.

A few years ago, I did pick up a 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent in good condition for $20.00 at a local antique mall, but that's the only decent deal I can remember.

It was only a dozen, or so, years ago that I could buy silver halves for $2.00 and uncirculated Morgans (1921) for $7.50. I guess I should have mortgaged the farm and loaded up the truck. The good old days.

TCK

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a junk/antique shop recently and none of the coins seemed worth buying. He had some modern Jeffersons and some older ones from the 1950s. They were in off-brand slabs, third-party grading companies I've never heard of. He also had some Wheaties, but none of the big, key dates. Those aren't really coins I collect anyway so my interest was little. I didn't see any silver coins.

jfreakofkorn

Jul 19, 2012
behind a desk ...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything i go into one of these shops/ stores, its usually just over priced stuff ....

noticed alot of time(s), that they think it is more than 15 yrs old, its valuable. and they throw these ridiculous price(s) on them

it just good to go in and just walk around in. just looking around and enjoying the AC .... IMO

i have had better searches else where and came out w/ better results

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One price that I thought was completely ridiculous was a store in the same town I got that amazing find but not the same store. They had a 1963 penny priced at $15! I would just think of it as pocket change. And they had a 1957 penny priced at $50! Crazy!:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread