Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum [courtesy of a friend] on loan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning!

I recently found a small group of mixed coins that my Grandmother had, and passed to my mom, who when she passed I ended up finding. Can anyone recommend a good text on grading? I'd like to figure out their condition and I tend to do better with a book in hand then online, just one of my many quirks!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm reviving my interest in collecting from my youth [life tends to make priorities shift and 30 years of caring for elderly relatives got expensive].

Thanks and have an awesome day.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redbook will give you grading criteria for each coin series and in some cases examples.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The most recognized reference is "The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins". It not only explains what a coin should have to meet a grade, it also has pics of each grade and covers practically every Series and denomination of official U.S. coinage produced up until it's publication with the exception of Experimentals, Trials and Special runs.

Frank

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good suggestions above. If you have world coins (non-US), then it gets a bit harder. For those it is best to look at eBay pictures to get an idea of condition or perhaps post pictures here. The book Standard Catalog of World Coins (commonly called the Krause, the name of the publisher) is good for ID-ing foreign coins, but doesn't help explain grading.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most recognized reference is "The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins". It not only explains what a coin should have to meet a grade, it also has pics of each grade and covers practically every Series and denomination of official U.S. coinage produced up until it's publication with the exception of Experimentals, Trials and Special runs.

Frank
That's the one I've been using for over 35 years now. It has more detail and better explanations than the Red Book.

OP
OP
N

NorthShoreRich

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum [courtesy of a friend] on loan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!

I'll likely pick up both. Better to have more info then less!

Appreciate the suggestions!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all!

I'll likely pick up both. Better to have more info then less!

Appreciate the suggestions!!

Both of the books will serve you well! The Redbook on United States Coins is a great book but somewhat of a starter book for grading. With the "The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins" and much study of it's contents, will graduate you to a whole new level.

Frank

collision

Jul 14, 2014
Temecula
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" by PCGS is a good book on grading US coins. It has detailed descriptions on how to grade every type and expert explanations of the grades. On top of that, the book has won a number of numismatic awards.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of the books will serve you well! The Redbook on United States Coins is a great book but somewhat of a starter book for grading. With the "The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins" and much study of it's contents, will graduate you to a whole new level.

Frank

I use , I believe the title is Grading Coins Using Photographs , by D. Bowers
For 'Field Use ' I have a couple copies 1 I carry in my Modern Briefcase ( a Lap Top Bag) so I will have a Quick Reference on me at all times , in case I come across a coin at an Antique Market , Yard Sale , Coin Store Etc. ' I don't do well with I-Phones & such Either.

Then at Home I have The latest "Red Book", "Blue Book" and " The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for U.S. Coins" for my most useful Grading Reference , as it has more Details Than the Grading Coins using Photographs Book.

IMO- All will Serve you well . As will other types of Numismatic Ref, Books You can Use/ Afford.

If it were possible I,d own every Coin reference book Made. You know " Just in Case" lol

Good Luck & Enjoy The Hobby

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread