Antique Stores

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little time this weekend and walked around an area nearby that has a lot of antique shops. I thought I might find some coins on offer that were in striking distance of a good deal or at least find some opportunities to trade. None of the shops were coins dealers and no shop had a lot of coins for sale, but I was shocked by the prices they were asking for what they had. They were so far off I didn't even bother making offers, except for some mint sets for which the dealer asked for several multiples of their value. Do people actually pay anywhere near these prices?

To give an example, one dealer was selling circulated clad Ikes for $8.95 (he said people buy them for poker). That will give you an idea. The same dealer was selling circulated clad bicentennial halves but I did not even bother asking the price. It occurred to me that I should be trying to sell coins to these dealers rather than buy from them. Maybe they are smart and won't pay more than $1 or a little over for an Ike, but it's worth a try. Has anyone tried selling to overpriced antique dealers?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread