Antique UK Morris Chair

S

stefen

While visiting Santa Rosa CA this weekend, we found about 8 garage sales selling Morris Chairs in Craigslist...

Originally designed and marketed in Great Briton in 1866, a similar chair was made in the USA by Stickley and others in the early 1900's...

There is a vast difference in design from the original concept to the more recent copies...all basically loungers...

One ad featured a late 1800's Chair made in the UK...a more free-flowing curvilinear style as opposed to the more boxy Arts & Crafts (Stickley style)...

Met the sellers at a local Super Market parking lot for a look-see...and now have filled another vacant Living Room spot with a period antique...:coffee2:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wanted a Morris chair. I am partial to mission style furniture and clocks.

OP
OP
S

stefen

The UK chair is far from mission or prairie style...only USA variety comes close...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your original post made that clear and I do know the difference.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, my mom had a pair when we were kids. Don't know if they were originals or American made but she disposed of nearly everything years ago when her and my dad divorced. Including most of my brother and sisters childhood toys. I remind her of it every now and then of the thousands of dollars she basically gave away. :BangHead: I sill love her though, lol. She didn't know any better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread