Antique valve core removal tool

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recovered this item detecting. It looked bad until I cleaned it up and saw what it really is. It is an antique valve core removal tool for early autos. It seems well made and has writing around the edge which is a little hard to read. I think it says, The Dilling Co., Cleve, O. pat July 19, 1915. I think it is a really cool item. Valve core removal tool 003.jpg Valve core removal tool 002.jpg Valve core removal tool 001.jpg Has anyone seen one before and if so can you give me what info you have on it? The quarter is for size reference. Thank you.

Upvote 17

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it sure looks like one

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really interesting... I don't know anything about them, but I can say it's a nice find!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad it doesn't have the patent number on it. I bet guys who own cars from that era would like that in their tool collection.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Model A type valve caps are a similar tube shape , and threaded over the valve to protect it.
Your piece may show a similarity ,and have the stem removal bonus.

Neat find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old tool find! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool old piece of Americana. Love finding old tools and brass stuff. Nice find.:icon_thumright:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wouldn't mind having one of those in my toolbox...simply to use. Nice!
Jim

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a cool find. Great job cleaning it up and taking time to actually figure it out. Many would see no value and just chuck it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very cool find and is one of a very few things that literally have not changed to the present day. You can still buy this tool today and remove a valve stem off of your toyota then step over to your Model T and remove a stem from that. But it does not stop there! You see, just holding this tool gives you no proof what so ever that it was ever used on a car at all. We all assume auto but the first GoodYear Tires were for horse drawn Wagons! Riding on the cushion of air made them more comfortable. There are also valve stems on Bicycle tires, wheel barrows, go carts minibikes wheel chairs. Valve stems can come threaded for pressurizing air tanks, water tanks, or anything that needs to hold and release pressure. So this Universal tool that you found can be used in any trade. The only variable to the universal versatile valve stem is the Phoofey French Bicycle tire valve called a Schrader valve. Designed to save 1/2 bazzilionth of a gram on racing bicycles. Maybe schrader wasn't from France I just liked typing the word Phoofey. Fun Find!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I thought at first, but this is not threaded inside like the Model T valve covers were.
Model A type valve caps are a similar tube shape , and threaded over the valve to protect it.
Your piece may show a similarity ,and have the stem removal bonus.

Neat find.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting! Never saw one before! Congrats and HH

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used one just like it many years ago and wish i still had it. Same tool can also be used on modern day cars to service the air conditioning. The schrader valve was patented in 1896. I have worked for Allis-Chalmers, Buick, Pontiac, Chevrolet and GMC. Owned 2 Shops and been a Snap on Tool dealer and I can't think of many tools that work on tractors, buses, cars, bicycles, motor cycles and airplanes and stayed so simple for so long!

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple of the modern day versions in my tool box.

Nice find!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
For the sake of beating a dead horse...
This is a very cool find and is one of a very few things that literally have not changed to the present day. You can still buy this tool today and remove a valve stem off of your toyota then step over to your Model T and remove a stem from that.......The only variable to the universal versatile valve stem is the Phoofey French Bicycle tire valve called a Schrader valve. Designed to save 1/2 bazzilionth of a gram on racing bicycles. Maybe schrader wasn't from France I just liked typing the word Phoofey. Fun Find!
Actually the phoofey ones are Presta valves. This one is for a Schrader valve, removing the core, not the whole stem.
It reads Dill Mfg Co. (still in business): http://dillaircontrols.com/dill/whydill/history-of-dill/
and the patent was July 13 1915: http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US1146774.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. That is the info I was hoping to find out. I couldn't read the info on the tool very well, but now that I see who the manufacturer was it makes sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread