Antique Weeved Chest Interesting Piece Your Thoughts

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have had this for years and I got this at a little thrift store. The store is no more. It has always baffled me on what it was and where it came from. I have had family say it looks like a antique coffin for a infant child from some other place. As the knobs in the front. Has a carving on the top of warriors and has remnants of carved writing or something under the warriors, which cannot make out. The size of this beauty is 27x14 inches. So your thoughts on this.

DSC07374.JPG DSC07375.JPG DSC07377.JPG DSC07379.JPG DSC07380.JPG

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
isn't that the bassinette that moses floated down the Nile in?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no info, but I really like this piece. Something I would like to have in my house!
apush

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eye catching piece. I'm thinking maybe a import from Indonesia???

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I think that is an Egyptian scene on the top, Tamrock. Doesn't make it Egyptian though, I guess. I don't think it was a coffin though.

T.

OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the carving looked Egyptian as well. but why would they put a Egyptian scene on a Indonesia basket? It is a old piece, but how old is the question as well.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the carving looked Egyptian as well. but why would they put a Egyptian scene on a Indonesia basket? It is a old piece, but how old is the question as well.

Here's what I am thinking, Chadkeath: it isn't Indonesian, it's Egyptian. Just like the scene depicted. It is hard for me to tell just from a picture how old it really is. I am not an Egyptologist, an antiques dealer,or nearly as knowledgeable as someone like Diggum..............and I didn't stay at a Comfort Inn last night. I feel like I am going out on a limb here, but I think it might be nearly 90 yrs old and from Egypt as I said. In the 1920's a lot of archeological digging was going on in Egypt, treasures were being found and a lot of those that could get there, rich kids and families that could went and saw the pyramids and of course bought at the market(s) in Cairo, etc. I am seriously wondering if this is a bring back from one of the biggest tourist trips of what might be considered the modern age. It is a fairly early tourist trap buy, maybe. Of course it isn't as old as stuff sold in Jerusalem during the Crusades, but of that line. That is what I am thinking and wondering, but again it is just an honest guess and you holding it would have a better idea on age than I would. Maybe by my sticking my neck out on a guess someone will post the real age and use of it. Even if I am wrong, I hope I helped you in that way.

T.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it doesn't look real old. It looks like the kind of thing found at an import store. It for sure is made in a Egyptian design, but does that say for sure it was made in Egypt?. I can't say for sure where it was made? I think it's purely a decorative modern made piece. Sorry if I'm bursting any bubbles here, but that's my take on this item. It looks like something I could go down and pickup at 'Pier One Imports' today.

Last edited:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
To me it doesn't look real old. It looks like the kind of thing found at an import store. It for sure is made in a Egyptian design, but does that say for sure it was made in Egypt?. I can't say for sure where it was made? I think it's purely a decorative modern made piece. Sorry if I'm bursting any bubbles here, but that's my take on this item. It looks like something I could go down and pickup at 'Pier One Imports' today.

There is a greater chance you are correct than I am. Although we differ by 80 or 90 yrs we are sort of saying the same thing. I said it was sold in a market place to tourists to look old and "Egyptian" back in that time period. Not sure if I was stressing that point in my previous post or not. I was adding age to the chest since he said he had owned it for years and I think of Pier 1 as a more recent place of business. At least we got the conversation started. LOL Tamrock is probably right, but it would be cooler and have more value if it was older.

T.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a greater chance you are correct than I am. Although we differ by 80 or 90 yrs we are sort of saying the same thing. I said it was sold in a market place to tourists to look old and "Egyptian" back in that time period. Not sure if I was stressing that point in my previous post or not. I was adding age to the chest since he said he had owned it for years and I think of Pier 1 as a more recent place of business. At least we got the conversation started. LOL Tamrock is probably right, but it would be cooler and have more value if it was older.

T.
That relief carving on top, just seems to lack in the detail I've seen in older antique pieces or so it seems to me. I'm no wood experts, but, it looks like the wood found on the furniture my wife comes home with from import outlets. I can't say for 100% sure what, where and how old it is. I just base it on what I see compared to items like it I see elsewhere. The condition is very good and if it is an old piece that's rare for woven baskets and wicker type furniture and stuff. Would I buy it if someone told me it's an 80 year old and rare antique, No! as I would have doubt on that claim of it being very old. Just what tamrock who, has "no feathers" in his hat thinks. :unhappysmiley:

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
And, I'm pretty sure I remember being dragged to pier one as a child in the 70's. So they have been around awhile.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
And, I'm pretty sure I remember being dragged to pier one as a child in the 70's. So they have been around awhile.

I live in Maine. We are the last ones to get anything. By the time it is out of style, we are just getting a shipment. Why last Sept. the car dealerships just got the Gremlin, Pacer and Pinto models in stock. They look pretty cool too!!

T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has some age to it, maybe not antique but definitely vintage, probably made in the last 50 years or so. I can't find anything really close. The only thing I can find similar are made in Bali I think, it's called Lombok. Cool looking piece if nothing else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread