silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Ever since I found a Fred Davis piece and bought the Billie Hougat Mexican Silver Hallmarks guide I have been on the lookout for nice Mexican pieces. (I believe diggummup recommend the book)

Today, I went to an annual rummage sale that I had never been to that is located in a wealthy area. It was great. Funny thing is, one of the "regulars" said it "was not as good as last years". I watched them overlook so much stuff.

Some other smaller items, but the ones worth calling out:

1) Toby Henderson - Turquoise Sunface Ring

IMG_20170225_150300.jpg IMG_20170225_150328.jpg

2) Sterling and Amber Pin
- The mark on the pack is "JS". I've found other examples here and here.

Question: Does anyone know this mark?

IMG_20170225_150543.jpg IMG_20170225_150554.jpg

3) Antonio Pineda "Comma" bracelet and earring set
- the stone is amethyst
- I knew I had something special right away but had no idea
- crazy thing is, the lady running the sale said it was there last year but did not sell
- There are none on eBay. Did find one sold at another site.

Question: can someone with a worthpoint account look this up for me? Here it is listed.

IMG_20170225_150000.jpg IMG_20170225_150013.jpg IMG_20170225_150031.jpg IMG_20170225_150054.jpg

When I looked at the Fred Davis post, it made me think how much I've learned and all the amazing treasures I've found over the past few years. It would not have been possible without all of you. Thank you so much!

hh,
bill

ps....ever since the TNET app stopped working I don't login nearly as much as I used to, but I still love this forum.

Last edited:

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great scores! Someone is asking $1675 on Etsy for an Antonio Pineda comma bracelet with onyx whereas yours has the amethyst. Earrings listed for $178 on Ruby Lane. Outstanding!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great scores! Someone is asking $1675 on Etsy for an Antonio Pineda comma bracelet with onyx whereas yours has the amethyst. Earrings listed for $178 on Ruby Lane. Outstanding!

Thanks SDIceMan! There is another comma onyx one listed here for $1600. Guess that is typical retail for that one. Really curious about the amethyst version. (I think it's much nicer looking)

If anyone has worthpoint: Here it is listed in 2008

I also found one sold here.

Going to email them about price.

Last edited:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am interested in what it sold for! I find tons on Mexican jewelry but never buy any, need to look up the makers now I guess!

Last edited:

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold a lot of Mexican Sterling over the past two years or so, but nothing this big or expensive. That is an obviously excellent piece and i hve noticed that pieces with amethyst sell better than other stones, such as obsidian or malachite. Pieces by Pineda HAVE sold upwards of $1500+ in the past three months and there appears to be a brisk trade in them, with three full pages of solds during that time frame. That's a good sign.

If I had this piece i would do this: Bundle the earrings and necklace together and start it at $2999, yes $2999, BIN, with offer. I wouldn't take ANYTHING less than $2000 for the set for the first year you have it listed. At the very least you will get crazy views on this piece and then increased views on your other items from people hitting "see sellers other items." This worked for me when I had a Rolex up for sale.

I would even go so far as to consider putting it for auction at a real auction house, or at least have them evaluate it. But I think ebay will serve you just as well.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found two similar bracelets on WorthPoint, the one you linked sold for $1300. The other I found sold for $3516. Great find!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two similar bracelets on WorthPoint, the one you linked sold for $1300. The other I found sold for $3516. Great find!

Thank you Jayers and bdsawyer! @bdsawyer.....I worth point I listed was from 2008, was the second one you listed more recent? Going to have a jeweler give it a look over. If even close to second number this is my best find ever. Probably will keep for a bit.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible score on that A P, but all of your pieces are beautiful. Congratulations. I've been looking at jewelry more closely due to this site as well. :-) I'll definitely be looking for our compadre Antonio Pineda's Jewelry, he seems to have been a good hombre! :-)

artslinger

Last edited:

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Jayers and bdsawyer! @bdsawyer.....I worth point I listed was from 2008, was the second one you listed more recent? Going to have a jeweler give it a look over. If even close to second number this is my best find ever. Probably will keep for a bit.

Both the ones I mentioned before sold in 2008. looking again at WorthPoint I found another that sold in 2015 and the price listed was $1700. No clue on what the current price would be but I would start high and see if you get any takers.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the ones I mentioned before sold in 2008. looking again at WorthPoint I found another that sold in 2015 and the price listed was $1700. No clue on what the current price would be but I would start high and see if you get any takers.

Thank you. Really appreciate the help! May follow Jayers advice and take it to a real auction house.

I definitely do not have specific maker marks memorized, but I've seen enough to tell if the marks are generic marks. If the piece looks like quality and has atypical marks, I will pay more than I normally would.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucky dog. I've only found one Pineda piece in all the years of searching for deals and they were just a pair of earrings.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found exactly one Antonio Pineda piece and one Sigi Pineda piece in my picking travels. Thrilling!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Ever since I found a Fred Davis piece and bought the Billie Hougat Mexican Silver Hallmarks guide I have been on the lookout for nice Mexican pieces. (I believe diggummup recommend the book]

Anyone have some details on getting "The book"?

Book is available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Little-Mexican-Silver-Trade-Hallmarks/dp/0971120234

FYI....book is just a reference for marks. There are not pictures of the actual items themselves.

https://www.925-1000.com also has a lot of info on the Mexican marks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread