Any advice for a new gold prospector?

Nov 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so i live in illinois, bad news ik... Almost no gold in illinois, even worse, im only 17 and cant travel... But recently I've caught gold fever and the idea of finding gold thrills me, i purchased a pan online and a few bags of paydirt (i know there are some people who dont like the idea but what choice do i have). I also am wondering if it is a good time to buy gold, like i said, im new to this and really dont know much about it, but im sure some of you do. So, is it a good time to buy gold or should i pass and try to find another hobby? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi young fella and welcome. Who says there aint no gold in Illinois? There is in the north. First join a prospecting club. Here are the names and numbers of three chapters in your state. Pick the one closest to you and ask to go on an outing with them. They will be delighted to help you out. You will need to join the GPAA eventually but it is well worth it. These people will help you along. As far as buying paydirt nothing wrong with it if you enjoy it and that is your best option at this time. Here are the names and numbers.

Ben Nicholson - Rock Island IL 309-368-9741
Ed Long - Jacksonville IL 217-245-1465
Chris Stuewe - Alsip IL 708-473-4690

This should help you get a leg up on mining.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, so i live in illinois, bad news ik... Almost no gold in illinois, even worse, im only 17 and cant travel... But recently I've caught gold fever and the idea of finding gold thrills me, i purchased a pan online and a few bags of paydirt (i know there are some people who dont like the idea but what choice do i have). I also am wondering if it is a good time to buy gold, like i said, im new to this and really dont know much about it, but im sure some of you do. So, is it a good time to buy gold or should i pass and try to find another hobby? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Welcome to T Net AlaskaGoldPanner. You have come go the best forums on the internet and many of its members are always willing to help. Instead of buying paydirt at their inflated prices just buy some gold on Ebay or from a club and then apply it to your own mixture so that you can practice panning. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A
Nov 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, i do feel welcomed and am impressed with the hosipitality, will deffinatly look into a club thanks for the advice!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is fine gold in black sand deposits on the shores of Lake Michigan...and maybe on the shores of your local lake elsewhere in IL.

The Boots

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One never knows until they pan some dirt where the gold is. Good luck:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread