Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking shilling !!
Don in SoCal
Thanks Don. I also found that site during my searches. My biggest question is what would this coin grade at? I would think it's at least EF with some environmental damage. But I haven't seen the grading guidelines for these shillings yet.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
My guesstimate...XF Details. $45-65
Coin estimates are one thing, getting anywhere near the value tends to be quite another.
Of all the silver coins I find hunting here in Britain, Victorian are by far the most common I dig up. If I thought I could get what amounts to $45-$65 for each Vicky shilling I'd consider metal detecting as a carreer option.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin estimates are one thing, getting anywhere near the value tends to be quite another.
Of all the silver coins I find hunting here in Britain, Victorian are by far the most common I dig up. If I thought I could get what amounts to $45-$65 for each Vicky shilling I'd consider metal detecting as a carreer option.
Thanks for the reply, but I doubt that each Vicky shilling you dig is in this condition.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Thanks for the reply, but I doubt that each Vicky shilling you dig is in this condition.
It is in good nick, and I forgot to congratulate you on what is a decent find in your neck of the woods.
I found a couple of Swiss silvers a couple of weeks ago and also an 1855 American cent. Not exciting finds in Switzerland or the US but something to enjoy when found in a field in Lancashire England. Again im not the expert but I wouldn't say EF it has quite a few scratches.
I doubt you'll get an offer worth the effort of getting rid of it so enjoy owning a coin that usually is only held by those who...as Cecil Rhodes said. "Have won first place in the lottery of life." 😆

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in good nick, and I forgot to congratulate you on what is a decent find in your neck of the woods.
I found a couple of Swiss silvers a couple of weeks ago and also an 1855 American cent. Not exciting finds in Switzerland or the US but something to enjoy when found in a field in Lancashire England. Again im not the expert but I wouldn't say EF it has quite a few scratches.
I doubt you'll get an offer worth the effort of getting rid of it so enjoy owning a coin that usually is only held by those who...as Cecil Rhodes said. "Have won first place in the lottery of life." 😆
Actually, I found it in Antigua.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread