Any Cell Phone Experts On Here? I Have A Big Problem!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only belong to 2 Sites that I actual post in. So, I thought I would give it a try here!

The problem, I have an Galaxy s4 active, that is company owned. From a place that gives me work on occasion. They gave me the phone for personal use and so they can get a hold of me whenever they need to no matter where I'm at. My problem Is that the phone was thrown down the steps and the screen is shattered.

I'm not going to call the company and tell them. I want to fix this on my own. For a few reasons. My son broke it and it's not their problem. And I just don't want to be "that guy" that gets occasional work to add them another headache or cost. That doesn't look good.

Now, My question. Can I buy another S4 active and just change the little card in the back?

Or should I just buy one and change the circuit board and screen? Which is no problem for me.

Ohh..I already tried to change the glass and broke the digitizer and lcd.:BangHead: That glue is tough stuff! But I'm sure I could swap the whole mess. No problem there.

My son, throws everything down the steps, we went camping and the phone got a little wet so I took it out of it's case. Anyhow, I didn't put it back right away. Took it out of my pocket, laid it on the entertainment center, before I knew it, little hands grabbed it and ran straight for the steps(which has a gate). It bounced down the steps in slow motion. :laughing7: It hit the tile floor at the bottom that is like a rough slate, face flat!!! I knew as soon as I saw it hit it was done. Can't blame the little guy! We play gams with me, my wife and him, throwing balls at each other down the steps and over the loft into the living room below, we shouldn't have started that! Now he thinks it's fun to throw everything, Kind of hard to be mad or tell him no, when my wife and I throw stuff below at each other as a game. :laughing7: I shouldn't have put it in his reach. And he just laughed! He thought that was fun!!! HAHA So it was kind of funny! But now I have to get it fixed without anyone knowing it was broken!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one? anyone? That knows how these things work!:laughing7:

Ok, to play it safe, and in fear of locking something up or not getting it to work from switching sim cards. Not sure how that all works with the circuit board and if there is an ID(?) inside.

I'll switch the face and whole front with another phone. Just take the board and all the guts out and switch them.

Unless someone knows an easier way that I wouldn't need to call or have it switched(?). Again, not sure how that works and would like to know before I experiment and get myself in a jam. by just switching sim cards.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are loads of places that will replace the touch screens on phone at a very reasonable cost, have you looked into that by chance?

My niece just had her iPhone screen replaced for $100.00 (CDN) so that's got to be about $9.99 USD? LOL......

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on craigslist or ebay for the same phone with the same carrier verizon,tmobile,sprint at&t ect. and you should just be able to swap sims (the little card) only issue would be if the company wants the phone back the iemi and serial number wont match if they care.
You could get the screen replaced just make sure you find a place that does good work but figure about $100 . Then you won't have the iemi / seriel number issue when its time to turn it in.
Switching out the board is a option but what ever you do be sure to search youtube and find out all the info you can https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=galaxy s4 active&c-device=Samsung Galaxy S4 Active some phones have screws you put 1 in the wrong place you ruin the phone.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on craigslist or ebay for the same phone with the same carrier verizon,tmobile,sprint at&t ect. and you should just be able to swap sims (the little card) only issue would be if the company wants the phone back the iemi and serial number wont match if they care.
You could get the screen replaced just make sure you find a place that does good work but figure about $100 . Then you won't have the iemi / seriel number issue when its time to turn it in.
Switching out the board is a option but what ever you do be sure to search youtube and find out all the info you can https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=galaxy s4 active&c-device=Samsung Galaxy S4 Active some phones have screws you put 1 in the wrong place you ruin the phone.

I've had this one apart before to clean the dust and dirt out of it. So that doesn't scare me. And yes! That's what I was wondering about numbers. No, I want it to show the correct numbers. A local shop gave an estimate of $130 and that could change to more depending. I can buy the whole phone used for about 80 bucks and swap the parts. That's kind of looking like what I'm going to have to do.

And thank you both for the feedback!!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That braddah... is what "cell phone insurance" is for!
I was on a roof, making sure everything was being done right, and dropped my new Iphone.
Tough as they are it exploded... Insurance!! Thank you!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That braddah... is what "cell phone insurance" is for!
I was on a roof, making sure everything was being done right, and dropped my new Iphone.
Tough as they are it exploded... Insurance!! Thank you!

Chances are? It might be insured. My problem is...Work is hard for anyone to get from this place. And has really slowed down for me, almost stopped. I don't want to be the guy that stands out from mistakes. Haha.....If that makes any sense at all....:laughing7:

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could buy a used phone and swap the board . Just when you put it back together USE THE BACK COVER FROM YOUR ORIGINAL PHONE that covers the board it should have barcode iemi/seriel numbers .If you shwap the board if they check the numbers on it they will comwe up correct

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could buy a used phone and swap the board . Just when you put it back together USE THE BACK COVER FROM YOUR ORIGINAL PHONE that covers the board it should have barcode iemi/seriel numbers .If you shwap the board if they check the numbers on it they will comwe up correct

That's what I'll end up doing then. I just can't call it in or tell them I broke the phone. I'm sure they wouldn't care, but when battling for work. That could be a big negative if they found out. I'm not taking the chance for what it takes to fix it. That? and my son broke it, It should be my responsibility to take care of it! I'm hired at times to take care of problems and save money, not create them and cost money.:laughing7:

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,, here's the deal. If the company that hires you on occasion is generous enough to supply you with a phone then they must have insurance. My S4 was replaced for $99. ,, when it was lost.
In the long run, it will be cheaper for you to offer to pay for it. They will ship a second hand, like new S4 phone to your door and everything will be above board. These screens get crushed all the time.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I could make you a (real thin) customized wooden one...? Think about it... You'd be the first to own one!!!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread