any clues?

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone have a clue as to what i have? is it worth my time or have i been reading to many treasure stories?

heres what i know:

found in southern alabama
the rock has been moved from its location (NOT by me)
it easily weights 20+ lbs
i believe it to be made of sandstone
it has no other marking on it, BUT it has been shaped, possibly to fit into a wall or fence at one time

sorry some of the images are a little blurry, i was hot and there were bugs...

Attachments

• r1.JPG
    r1.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 502
  • r2.JPG
    r2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 499
OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
more pics

Attachments

• r3.JPG
    r3.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 488
  • r4.JPG
    r4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 500
  • r5.JPG
    r5.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 500
OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry these are the best i can do for the moment like i said, there were bugs and it was HOT ::)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sar, I was looking at it... and I think this is how it should be... because look at the distance of the dots where the SW & SE should be, as if it were a compass. The lower dots are pretty similar in distance, and the top dots (NW & NE) are also similar in distance.
OR
It could be upsidedown, since the top rod in my pic is shorter? Maybe being South?

Bran <><

Attachments

• Spanish.JPG
    Spanish.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 453
OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bridges- thanks for the site. yes i do know where its from, im itching to go look for myself.

bran- you're probably right, the way its sitting now is just the way it fit best for its present home.

update: one of the head archaeologists (one of my godmothers) for the US Virgin islands was at my house tonight and looked at it, she confirms that its most likly spanish, she thinks the "cross" is supposed to be a early catholic cross like the ones seen on some atocha coins.
Her husband (my godfather) whom is also a archaeologist, mentioned spanish treasure markers (she rolled her eyes) and he said he had seen one years ago that looked very much like this one, that marker was attributed to DeSoto...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, DeSoto...
I still find it fascinating that him & his men left from my home in Florida... and ended up traveling all the way up to the Missouri area where I attend school. Just very ironic to me.
The Catholic cross somewhat makes sense for the place, time period (I believe) and possibly even in relation to treasure.

Bran <><

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ashlee1228 said:
bridges- thanks for the site. yes i do know where its from, im itching to go look for myself.

bran- you're probably right, the way its sitting now is just the way it fit best for its present home.

update: one of the head archaeologists (one of my godmothers) for the US Virgin islands was at my house tonight and looked at it, she confirms that its most likly spanish, she thinks the "cross" is supposed to be a early catholic cross like the ones seen on some atocha coins.
Her husband (my godfather) whom is also a archaeologist, mentioned spanish treasure markers (she rolled her eyes) and he said he had seen one years ago that looked very much like this one, that marker was attributed to DeSoto...

Your godfather's thinking is the same as mine and for the same man, there should be other signs/markers there too within the area. Rocks facing a certain way, carvings, etc. Take your time and use your imagination as you look. There is a ol legend that he buried something in NW florida or southern Alabama. I wish you the best of luck and always be careful on your sharing of info. If the bugs get to thick for you let me know and I'll go look for it for you :tongue3: Or look for it in the winter when it is colder, bushes/greenery gone and the bugs are not around.

There is a lot of info in this forum on what your searching for

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crap! Who moved it? UUUGGG

Do you know where it was and exactly how it was sitting? Very important :)

This is a great find ;D ;D

My opinion:

Go back to where the rock was and go in the direction the right arm of the cross is pointing. Look for more :)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She didn't move the marker... someone else did. She knows the area... but doesn't know where the rock was originally, nor the direction which it was placed. I believe permission will have to be sought out for the area in question before she can do anything else with it.
It's not a local site either, so it more than likely won't be a day trip. :-\

Bran <><

OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
like Bran said i dont know the exact area, or the position, but the person who found it does and has told me a few important clues.

im not worried about anyone getting there first, anyone who is able to find the area and get past the rather vicious obstacles is more than deserving of what they find :)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Ashlee,
If you hold this stone, You have no reason to worry about others.
Unless they know you have it.
What you must do is know the EXACT placement of this marker.

If you can accomplish that, follow the right hand part of the cross.
go to the right 4 varas to the next marker. (aprox... 14 feet)

Thom

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ashlee1228 said:
like Bran said i dont know the exact area, or the position, but the person who found it does and has told me a few important clues.

im not worried about anyone getting there first, anyone who is able to find the area and get past the rather vicious obstacles is more than deserving of what they find :)

Old Dog said:
Ashlee,
If you hold this stone, You have no reason to worry about others.
Unless they know you have it.
What you must do is know the EXACT placement of this marker.

If you can accomplish that, follow the right hand part of the cross.
go to the right 4 varas to the next marker. (aprox... 14 feet)

Thom

Ashlee, Thom is one of the best on here for advise and wisdom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread