Any day you find silver is a good day

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Got up at 4:30 am this morning to take my wife to the Sacramento airport, as she is going to go visit her family in SoCal for about a week. I brought my Safari along because I knew I would have plenty of time to stop at a couple small towns for some detecting on my way home.

The first town didn't really have a good place to detect except a school that dates back to the 50's. I figured there still might be something left in the back field, and I was right. After a few clad dimes and pennies I got a nice little silver toe ring. About a half hour later snagged the '53 Rosie. Two silver from one field--not a bad morning for me!

About another 50 miles on up the freeway I stop and another town and hit a few easements. First out was the sock clip, which gives the patent date of April '02 (1902). Then came the Buffalo. It's been quite a while since I've found one of these, probably a year and a half. It's soaking right now in hopes I might be able to extract a date.

Before I knew it the clock was getting late and I had to head back home. However, I still have to go back and pick up my wife next week. Her plane comes in at 5pm which means the rest of the day is open for more detecting!

HH,

Ray

Attachments

• finds1.JPG
    finds1.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 804
  • finds2.JPG
    finds2.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 796
  • finds3.JPG
    finds3.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 809
  • finds4.JPG
    finds4.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 808
  • finds5.JPG
    finds5.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears the buffalo is a 1920......let us know for sure after the soak, but, it sure looks like a "20" in your pic!!

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks thrilla and Toby!

Roland, you are correct. The year is 1920. Good grief, I think I need my eyes checked! :help:

Ray

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful finds there Ray, love the silver ring! :notworthy:
Isn't it amazing how much work you can get done when the wife's away! :laughing7:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray,
What did you soak the nickel in?......just curious, as I am currently in the process of tumble cleaning all my clad and zinc (not together, of course). No biggie on spotting the "20" on the nickel.......sometimes it is easier to see something like that in a picture than it is in real life.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are all men alike? Ditch the wife and go metal detecting :laughing7: Hey Ray? No bad intent here. I love my wife of 35 years :icon_sunny:
By the way Nice silver finds :thumbsup:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crazyjarhead said:
Why are all men alike? Ditch the wife and go metal detecting :laughing7: Hey Ray? No bad intent here. I love my wife of 35 years :icon_sunny:

35 years!? Is that your son in the avatar? If it is you, it is either an old picture or you got married when you were 5. And I don't dump my wife to go hunting, I simply leave before she gets up and leave her a note!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roland58 said:
crazyjarhead said:

35 years!? Is that your son in the avatar? If it is you, it is either an old picture or you got married when you were 5. And I don't dump my wife to go hunting, I simply leave before she gets up and leave her a note!

Yes 35 and soon to be 36 years. That avatar looks like me (really) except I shave my head. My son probably is close to his age. I know he is old for being the in the WFC

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Roland58 said:
Ray,
What did you soak the nickel in?......just curious, as I am currently in the process of tumble cleaning all my clad and zinc (not together, of course). No biggie on spotting the "20" on the nickel.......sometimes it is easier to see something like that in a picture than it is in real life.

Well, I knew the coin was in rough shape so I just let it soak in vinegar for about an hour or so. Then I rubbed it with water and baking soda. I only did this because I wanted to see the date clearer. I think this is the oldest buffalo I've found so far, though not my oldest nickel. Here's a pic to compare to the first one.

Ray

Attachments

• buffo-r.jpg
    buffo-r.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 396
OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

crazyjarhead said:

lol, the fact is my wife lets me go detecting anytime I want, which happens to coincide with whenever she decides she wants to let me. :laughing7:

Ray

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray in CA said:
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

crazyjarhead said:

lol, the fact is my wife lets me go detecting anytime I want, which happens to coincide with whenever she decides she wants to let me. :laughing7:

Ray

Same here. Just givng you a hard time. My wife is the same way. In fact, I'm heading out right now. Near record temps in Ohio today, near 58. After we had 3 weeks of below freezing temps. Snow is all gone........yes, Have a Happy New Year and be safe out there

eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there! Shined that ring up real nice too! :icon_thumleft:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice ring :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread