Any Detroit MD Treasure Hunters Out There? Silver Coins & Relics Everywhere?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Okay, Motor City Dwellers, as a West Coast guy into financial & business news, all I have heard and seen in the last several years on the news is all the vacant housing, tear downs, and complete neighborhoods that were bulldozed in the Detroit area. Is there anyone harvesting all the goodies that lurk beneath the ground in those areas?

There must be a treasure trove of silver coins, jewerly, and relics in the ground of those now blighted areas. I even looked in the Michigan forum and can't find anyone talking about metal detecting in the torn down intercity neighborhoods. It seems like the area would take an army of MD'ers and still not get it all.

It would be interesting to hear who is finding what, if not, why? Too dangerous because of crime? Not allowed? Or What? Or maybe you are MD'ing it and I didn't scroll through enough of the Michigan forum.

20100427_detroit5_83780435_23.jpg -- 628x471.jpg

slide8.jpg -- bildeSite=C3&Date=20110407&Category=OPINION03&ArtNo=104070334&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Detroit-s.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about 5 miles from Detroit. I agree, there are some PRIMO spots in the city that I'd love to hoover my coil over. However, in those same Detroit news papers you might want to look at the homicide department, it's CRAZY. Really, you don't want to be Detroit swinging a $1500 detector....getting robbed (best case, shot, killed, are all possibilities. :(

But yes, I think about it all the time. I know 5 great places I'd LOVE to hunt.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about 5 miles from Detroit. I agree, there are some PRIMO spots in the city that I'd love to hoover my coil over. However, in those same Detroit news papers you might want to look at the homicide department, it's CRAZY. Really, you don't want to be Detroit swinging a $1500 detector....getting robbed (best case, shot, killed, are all possibilities. :(

But yes, I think about it all the time. I know 5 great places I'd LOVE to hunt.

Hi MDD,

How about safety in numbers? Put the word out in the forum and get a bunch of guys together and hit the hell out of it for a month or so. Although it may take years for even a bunch of guys to hit it all :)

Hey, I might even fly out there for a piece of that action.

Last edited:

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, in a group is probably the best (safest) option. However, sadly, even when you take away the external threats there are still a lot of things on those old sites that you wouldn’t want to come in contact with, like needles or razors from drug users. They may light-up a detector and poke you when you go to dig them up… then you have to live with that. It may be more trouble than it’s worth.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They spray neighborhoods with AK rounds, killing kids, and other innocent people every day, day after day. Saftey in numbers? Just more victims to rob, carjack, and kill. There is not much law and order away from the Downtown area, and that's not the best either.
Hi MDD,

How about safety in numbers? Put the word out in the forum and get a bunch of guys together and hit the hell out of it for a month or so :) Although it may take years for even a bunch of guys to hit it all.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, in a group is probably the best (safest) option. However, sadly, even when you take away the external threats there are still a lot of things on those old sites that you wouldn’t want to come in contact with, like needles or razors from drug users. They may light-up a detector and poke you when you go to dig them up… then you have to live with that. It may be more trouble than it’s worth.

They have special gloves for that :)

tech-needle-hero.jpg tech-needle-closeup.jpg

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to go down to the city years ago with a group of guys, those ancient old parks are littered with coins and litter lol, packing heat helps but in the long run after a few gun battles we gave up and that was in the late 80's.
With modern gangs running rampant and the total lack of respect for life and next to zero consequences for taking a life, I'd just assume shoot myself before I would go down there nowadays.
Though some parks are doable in a group in some of the old mansion neighborhoods that and belle isle but its been hunted to death for years.

Mike

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They spray neighborhoods with AK rounds, killing kids, and other innocent people every day, day after day. Saftey in numbers? Just more victims to rob, carjack, and kill. There is not much law and order away from the Downtown area, and that's not the best either.

We can do a full on planned assault to clean up the underground in Detroit with guys from all over the country. Everyone could be packing more then just warm clothes :)

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey I love a challenge, if you could get at minimum 20 guys/gals together, with at least several armed I would be interested, and I just happen to know of a few places where every other coin is a silver, at least back in the day..its a minor risk anyway since there is a really good chance that either comet ison or its debris is gonna take us all out anyway in 7 weeks lol.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I love a challenge, if you could get at minimum 20 guys/gals together, with at least several armed I would be interested, and I just happen to know of a few places where every other coin is a silver, at least back in the day..its a minor risk anyway since there is a really good chance that either comet ison or its debris is gonna take us all out anyway in 7 weeks lol.

No Risk - No Reward, that's my motto. Let's see who around the country might be interested in a planned assult on Detroit's underground. Maybe in the spring we could get something going while the gang bangers are still frozen. If we get enough people, we may even get media coverage to help keep the violence at bay.

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
Back in June I saw a fellow Detectorist swinging his coil in Roosevelt park off of mi ave and I thought to myself that he must be one Gutsy individual, or carrying a secret weapon. Lol.... I also feel safety in numbers wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of clubs in the area that still hunt the parks. Belle Isle is a prime spot to detect but the Archie's say no deal detecting there as someone might find the Holy Grail, yet no digs are planned for park which will soon become a state park. At least if you hunt in Detroit you can use a AT Pro so if you get robbed your not out a good detector. :laughing7:

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of clubs in the area that still hunt the parks. Belle Isle is a prime spot to detect but the Archie's say no deal detecting there as someone might find the Holy Grail, yet no digs are planned for park which will soon become a state park. At least if you hunt in Detroit you can use a AT Pro so if you get robbed your not out a good detector. :laughing7:

Funny Guy Mr. Sandman ... Now who's talking about parks and potential State Parks Mr. Sandman! This is about the 1000's of abandoned homes and vacant lots throughout the Detroit area. I can't believe you can't see the possibilities in those areas. Get the water and sand out of your shorts and hit the treasures in the abandoned neighborhoods :)

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ouch! lol

I like my AT Pro!

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! lol

I like my AT Pro!

No Worries MDD ... Sandman and I have a running thing about the AT Pro. Sandman shows the AT Pro as part of his collection, but I believe he just listed it on his member profile to give him permission to rag on it. Or maybe, most of that list is just on paper or in his head :)

As the song goes "Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream" :)

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you get a hunt together with a dz guys or so I am only 2 hrs plus from Detroit I would be game to hit it up with everyone just give me a shout and I will join.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman.....Although many won't like your sense of humor, I thought it was funny.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been sizing up the areas from the old maps. There is a risk to it and certain times of the day would be better then others.
High risks are armed robbery. Car jacking. If too much attention is drawn on the wrong day there could be drive-by shooting just because you are on someone's turf. I've work in some bad areas 2 to 3 x a week and it is not that bad driving through but one needs to be continually on guard. I would never stick around after sun set. My Cousin was murdered, one shot, leaving a fenced guarded parking lot at night. As he drove through the gate a pedestrian walked up to the car shot him through the driver's window down the shoulder through the heart. Died instantly. Guy walked away. did not want anything. I know another guy who rented a garage near work to protect his car. As he opened the garage he and his ride were robbed at gun point. At the end the guy shot him through the mouth. He thought he was dead. as it happened the bullet split his lip went through his front teeth and caught on a wire of his retainer and split his tongue. He bled from the mouth profusely and they left him for dead. He survived and had the bullet and retainer embedded in a plastic block for a souvenir. Know another guy that was at the Tiger ball game. parked in a close pay lot. After the game he was robbed in the parking lot and they shot him in the leg for spite.
Due to money woes Police help if called can take up to 3 hours for a response.
Hey, I think I just scared myself away! So, are you thinking of renting armed guards? While you are watching the ground, who will be watching your back?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn! I think I would rather MD on Mexican Cartel Turf ... Scary Stuff.
Even in the scariest parts of LA, you definitely don't want to be stuck after dark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread