Any Disadvantages to the 9" Coil?

waynedig

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of purchasing a Deus with the 9" coil.
I hunt old homestead sites usually that have been burned out and are now at grade and grown over.
Parks and ball fields with lots of trash.
And sometimes ploughed fields.

Does the 9" go as deep as the 11"?

Obviously the 9" covers less ground than the 11" but since the deus is such a fast machine theoretically wouldn't I be able to just walk a little bit faster to cover the same amount of ground as the 11".

The only disadvantage I can think about is possibly decreased depth on the 9".

your thoughts?

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 9" hits an inch or two less than the 11 but still goes deep. It's tonal response in trash is significantly better than the 11.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have different results in my soil with the nine and could be due to emi around my test garden but I get the same our better depth with it in my test garden I know that sounds strange. Just for example I can hit a 14 inch silver quarter with it and a 15 inch silver half dollar in my garden both good digable repeatable tones thats with my relic program. For what your hunting I would get the 9 hands down. It does seperate better than the 11 and for some reason like vferarri said it seems to be in tune with the machine better. The 11 is good but I do prefer the nine over it. Results will vary according to soil conditions but its plenty deep actually deeper than comon beliefs about coil size allow.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 9" hits an inch or two less than the 11 but still goes deep. It's tonal response in trash is significantly better than the 11.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agree with this 100%. I hunt in conditions very similar to yours, and use the 9" exclusively.

I wouldn't recommend the 11" for the type of hunting you do. If you are hunting in clean/less trashy areas, the 11 x 13" would be my suggestion to you. It would provide coverage and approximately the same 1-2" of additional depth that the 11" provides.

I bought my package with the 9" and am very glad that I did.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold my 9". You really cant go wrong with either but I do a lot of field hunting and want to cover as much ground as quickly as possible. Ive found plenty of keepers amongst iron with the 11" so its separation is a non issue especially if you own another detector with a sniper coil. The 11" deus coil seems to do things other machines can only do with a sniper coil anyway. I would actually get and use the 13x11 primarily if it wasnt for the nose heavy feel others have mentioned with it

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prefer my 9" coil to the my 11" coil. It's plenty deep enough and just seems to be more tightly integrated/optimized for the frequencies of use. Might be my imagination. I relic hunt with the 9" and use the 11" as a backup. Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either coil. The large 11x13 coil has balance and flex issues at least with the stock shaft hardware, so if you go there, you might want to upgrade to a stiffer after market shaft such as those offered by Anderson. I have never heard of anyone outright recommending the 11x13 coil OVER the other two. If you can only get one coil (they ARE expensive) I recommend the 9".

KevT13

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a 9 inch coil and did very well with it. But testing it against my buddy's 11 inch coil in the same programs it was definitely not hitting as deep for me as his 11.

I ended up trading it to a friend who had two 11 inch coils and I'm very happy with the trade, i think the 11 is doing better for me in the farm fields that i exclusively hunt.

However If I had the money I'd have preferred to have both coils for those high iron sites.

But saying that the 11 inch coil with higher reactivity is still better in iron than any of the guys I hunt with who use other brand machines.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1121.jpg A good shaft for the 13 would be this one I use it for my 11. Very strong. DSCN1015.jpg DSCN1122.jpg

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prefer my 9" coil to the my 11" coil. It's plenty deep enough and just seems to be more tightly integrated/optimized for the frequencies of use. Might be my imagination. I relic hunt with the 9" and use the 11" as a backup. Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either coil. The large 11x13 coil has balance and flex issues at least with the stock shaft hardware, so if you go there, you might want to upgrade to a stiffer after market shaft such as those offered by Anderson. I have never heard of anyone outright recommending the 11x13 coil OVER the other two. If you can only get one coil (they ARE expensive) I recommend the 9".

Very well said!
If I could only have one coil, it would be the 9".

hori

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about this also as a dealer only has 9" in stock and was wondering about the differences and buyers remorse as alot of people say go 11" way better and others say like 9" better. I can get a great deal on 9" XP detector.
Decisions...decisions..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for whichever coil is available for the best deal. You can't really go wrong either way as you can see. It's only people who have tried both coils that develop a preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread