Any early risers out there? looking for opinions on settings.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heading out to New Orleans about a hour away. Going to my hunted out Rev Fort sight which in mostly white shelly dirt mixed with lots of iron bits/nail. I’m going for buttons since I’ve had good luck there which means I MIGHT find one rev button with 2 hours of digging if I’m lucky. Thinking Park 2 for relic hunting, 5 recovery should I turn that iron bias up to 3 maybe 4? Should I use the 6” and go very slow. I have a hour drive to feel free to entertain my thoughts. Thanks guys [emoji1317]

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer Field 2 for relics myself. I do bump the iron bias up in some cases where the iron is thick. I also play with the recovery speed depending on whether I need more depth (lower number), or more separation (higher number). The amount of targets will dictate which coil I use, as does the terrain. I use the biggest one that will work in a given area to cover more ground. I'd take all three with me. With lot's of targets, or, deep targets, I use a slower sweep speed.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer Field 2 for relics myself. I do bump the iron bias up in some cases where the iron is thick. I also play with the recovery speed depending on whether I need more depth (lower number), or more separation (higher number). The amount of targets will dictate which coil I use, as does the terrain. I use the biggest one that will work in a given area to cover more ground. I'd take all three with me. With lot's of targets, or, deep targets, I use a slower sweep speed.

It’s the hard soil to dig in 90% white shells 10% soil and lots of iron bits and nails. I went up to iron bias 3 and still those nails sounded good. I went with recovery speed 7 and kept it at 20 sensitivity and still got iron

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the old pewter buttons I found in the past were with an antique Tesoro Lobo at 20-21 khz. See if you can set your machine at that frequency. It sucked buttons out of already hammered sites. Now I run 74 khz for these type places and it sucks them out even deeper.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's super iron infested I always turn the sensitivity down to about 15 and crank the recovery speed up. Your not going to get much depth with iron saturation anyway. This helps with the iron falsing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
67GTA is right. That signal has to whip down to the ground and back. I always found pewter buttons respond best in wet ground, and the colder the better for some reason.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's super iron infested I always turn the sensitivity down to about 15 and crank the recovery speed up. Your not going to get much depth with iron saturation anyway. This helps with the iron falsing.

I’ll try that advice next time. Thank you

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Good luck Buddy...hope you find a banner of some sorts...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck Buddy...hope you find a banner of some sorts...:thumbsup:

All I found was this iron thing I’ve learned not to throw away any large iron from this place. Any idea? IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Spur of the moment..out of my you-know-what-guess? Maybe some sort of post topper for running the rope/chain through..???
How long has the Fort been available to the public? IDK..(just a guess...lol)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spur of the moment..out of my you-know-what-guess? Maybe some sort of post topper for running the rope/chain through..???
How long has the Fort been available to the public? IDK..(just a guess...lol)

It was a Amusement Park in the 50’s but this particular spot I’ve found a lot of Rev war stuff including this tomahawk last month. IMG_2733.jpg

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
It was a Amusement Park in the 50’s but this particular spot I’ve found a lot of Rev war stuff including this tomahawk last month. View attachment 1730941
I saw that!! That is awesome!!! Now that I know amusement park, still going with rope/chain guide...lol I do love that T-Hawk!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread