Any Fisher 1280x Tips?

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just became owner of a Fisher 1280X MD. I have had it out for a short hunt but was wondering if there are any experienced 1280X users out there that would want to share their secrets. Right now I am doing some semi-beach hunting and a little land hunting. I just finished a DIY sand scoop ala Pat in Hawaii/SaltLife4Us flavor. I am excited to head out to my favorite (read "only") little beach site that also has a small playground located there. No one there in the a.m. when I go. Thanks in advance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the 1280 for years. You didn't mention if your going to use it in fresh or saltwater. It will false on the saltwater beach wet sand but behave in the freshwater. Set Volume where it is comfortable, Sens at presets, and Disc at only no higher than 2. Any higher you won't find gold rings. Lay some targets on clean sand and see where they drop out.

OP
OP
Dtektor

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. I will most likely hunt saltwater/brackish beaches since we have more of them than fresh. I had to replace the battery holder and power connector when I got the unit but that went well. In terms of volume, my unit seems very loud and I usually have it set at "1". Of course, I was hunting in a very quiet location with no surf crashing or people around me. I also did not mention that my 1280X was built in 1998. It still looks and works as good as new. Thanks again. You mention "presets" but my controls don't have any presets as far as I know.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember where the presets were. But they would be different at about every beach. You might have some falsing on saltwater beaches in the wet sand or near the water. Save your money for the CZ-21 as it blows the 1280 away as far as depth and sensitivity goes. It still has trouble with thin gold chains though unless it has a charm or large clasp. Pic is a CZ-20 which only has a different pinpoint button.
158.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dtektor

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1998 vintage 1280X has only Sens/Batt Test, Disc, and On/Off/Volume controls. No presets are present. Works really well so far. I have been running Sens at about 5, Disc at around 2-3, and volume <1. This thing is way loud. I could MD next to a runway at LaGuardia and still hear the tones!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dtektor said:
My 1998 vintage 1280X has only Sens/Batt Test, Disc, and On/Off/Volume controls. No presets are present. Works really well so far. I have been running Sens at about 5, Disc at around 2-3, and volume <1. This thing is way loud. I could MD next to a runway at LaGuardia and still hear the tones!!

You are lucky with the volume being so loud. Most have to be turned up all the way. Your other settings are fine.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have an old large lake here in northern California where I find silver coins in ankle to waist deep water. With the 1280X I always cranked up the volume to its highest setting so I could hear those deep silvers buried in the gravel and sand. Those deep merc dimes , silver quarters, and silver & gold rings were just a whisper even at high volume. Those super deep whispers can be coins at 7 to 9 inches or more sometimes.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1280x is a good fresh water detector ... And also works good in salt water being a single frequency detector known for not being good in salt water and the reason that it works fine in salt water ................ Is it runs on a frequency of 2.4 ............ so that what makes it work pretty good in salt water...........

Helioboy

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2006
Hamilton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a,Garrett Sea Hunter, Fisher 1280x, Tesoro Umax, Minelab X Terra 30 and Fisher F2, Fisher ID Edge.
Hi, I also just became an owner of an older 1280X. I am still learning how to pinpoint with this metal detector. I normally do beach hunting. I was at the beach here in NJ today and I was mainly on the dry sand. The water is already too cold for me. My disc was set between 2-3 and the sens was set at 5. volume set at 5. After reading various posts on the 1280X, I am surprised that I had to have the sens at 5 to hear anything. Any thoughts??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dtektor

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helioboy, If I set my vol at 5, I would be deaf by now! It seems that my older 1280X is working quite well (at leas tin the volume dept.). I really haven't had enough swing time and definitely very little assistance from other detectorists (since there don't appear to be any around here close by) to be of much help to you. generally run vol almost "off", and the other settings about the same as you mentioned and find some stuff. So hopefully your questions will get me my answers as well. I guess that is what makes forums work. Good Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread