tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe one of the many FDR new deal programs?? I would think the numbers on the tents were there so one would know what tent they belonged in and how the mail could be routed to the right individual in a man camp? That fella in the back of the tent is holding something upright and I can't tell what that is, plus they all seem to have one kind of shirt? Unless someone wrote some info on the back, this will be a tough one to say for sure what all is going on here..It could maybe be the Corps of Engineers? The guy in the tent and the fella on the far left have the same type of hats that look like early 19th century military style hats maybe??.

Attachments

• new deal tents.jpg
    new deal tents.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hats in the pic are very military and they are all wearing some sort of uniform. These guys may be state militia volunteers at a mobilization camp for the Spanish American war. Is the guy in the tent holding a rifle?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jtw1313

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like Spanish American war DC.......from looking at other pics and the hats...... I can see a couple letters on the front of the tent

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Based on the uniforms and couple hats in the picture, I'm thinking Spanish American war as well.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a second look and decided these boys (except the old guy with the mustache) are a little too fresh faced for regular army service.

This looks more like it: Turn of the 20th C Boys Brigade

1903-boys-brigade-gettysburg-5-web.jpg

These boys are at the 40th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg (1903). How cool would that have been - to reenact the fight at Gettysburg along side actual veterans of the war!

I was on the field for the 150th and it was an awesome experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread