Any Help for a Rookie?

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Been detecting almost a year now with the trusty MXT. I've discovered that it is time to quit playin around and make the transformation from a "detectorist" to "treasure hunter". I'm disabled and can't work so I have lots of time for research, which I have been doing for some time. I would welcome any input from the experts (especially the location of some caches in Eastern KY/Southern OH) :D ;D :D ;D.

My current areas of study are Gen Morgan (is there any validity to his caches?) and the French activity in my area. Like everyone else, there are "Lost Silver Mines" in my area too. And counterfeiters. And the James boys.........

A burning Q I have right now is- What's with these buried cache tests (3 lbs of silver coins at 2 feet) that NO detector can detect EVEN A 2 BOX. ???? I see the Treasure Hunter 900? highly recommended here, but what are its limitations?

Thanks in advance for any help
Kevin

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
A bit re: Gen. Morgan, June 8, 1864, Robbed Farmers Bank vault of $ 60K in Mt. Sterling, Ky. Money was never recovered.

Sept. 19-21, 1862, Camped 2.5 mi. S. of Manchester, Ky.
Sept. 1861, Camped @ Camp Charity, 7 mi. E. of Bardstown.
July 9, 1862, Camped @ Tomkinsville, Ky.
July 2, 1863, Crossed Cumberland River near Burkesville, Ky.

Hope it helps!

OP
OP
mxtswinger

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
Mucho Gracias! Hope I can return the favor sometime. Best of luck in your endeavours.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
my ex2 will pick up a hatchet head at 2 feet deep with the stock 10.5 inch coil..have seen two-boxes hit on targets smaller than you posted at 4 1/2 feet deep.........morgan and his mens caches are real, although the known supposed burial spots may be wrong.....buscadero is on the right trail tracking campsites........best advice i could offer is study like _ _ _ _ and do not give up.............gldhntr

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI= R E S E A R C H ! It pays off in many more ways than most imagine. Incidentally my Discovery and The White 800 (not the 808) can actually pick up a dollar in the first few inches of earth. They are more sensative than most realize.

Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
mxtswinger

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
Thanks folk's for the help. I checked out an armload of books last week so I might not be posting too much, but I WILL be reading here. A HUGE blanket Thank You to all the regular contributors here.

Best of Luck
Kevin

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well a my Garrett two-box picked up a paint can buried upright up at 3 feet that i buried myself for testing, and would air test on a car at like 10 feet. Have no idea what the limits are but don't believe everything you read on the Net - some of it is just pure bonk!

OP
OP
mxtswinger

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the new posts. I keep a large salt shaker (sea salt) beside my monitor when reading anything concerning treasure hunting. ;)

Hope everyone has heavy pockets

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
Hi MTXSWINGER,

I am a student of history and absolutely no expert.
The real fun for me is the research.

Here is a little info gleaned from net on Morgan being in Ohio area:

Buffington Island

Other Names: St. Georges Creek
Campaign: Morgan’s Raid in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio (July 1863)
Date(s): July 19, 1863
Principal Commanders: Brig. Gen. Edward H. Hobson [US]; Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan [CS]
Forces Engaged: Brigades: 4,700 total (US 3,000; CS 1,700)
Estimated Casualties: 925 total (US 25; CS 900)

Description: On July 13, Morgan’s raiders crossed into Ohio at Harrison, pursued by several columns of Union cavalry under overall direction of Brig. Gen. Edward H. Hobson. On July 19, Kautz’s and Judah’s brigades attacked Morgan near Buffington Island. During the night, Morgan and about 400 men escaped encirclement by following a narrow woods path. The rest of his force surrendered.
Result(s): Union victory

Salineville

Other Names: New Lisbon, New Lisbon Road, Wellsville
Campaign: Morgan’s Raid in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio (July 1863)
Date(s): July 26, 1863
Principal Commanders: Brig. Gen. James Shackelford [US]; Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan [CS]
Forces Engaged: 3,000 total (US 2,600; CS 400)
Estimated Casualties: 364 total (US none; CS 364)

Description: After escaping encirclement at Buffington’s Island with about 400 of his men, Morgan continued east and north, attempting to find a safe crossing over the Ohio River. With several columns of Union cavalry in hot pursuit, Morgan passed through Salineville, riding down the railroad toward Smith’s Ford. Turning onto the New Lisbon Road, Morgan’s raiders were finally cut off. Morgan surrendered. During this raid, Morgan and his men captured and paroled about 6,000 Union soldiers and militia, destroyed 34 bridges, disrupted the railroads at more than 60 places, and diverted tens of thousands of troops from other duties.
Result(s): Union victory

I'm thinking if he had loot, it's somewhere along that route or he sent out a detail to hide it.

Word has it he had many sympathizers in my area( Ohio Valley and beyond). There are many "signs" in the area. Some being time locked and others in plain sight.Some really strange markers,so well hidden, the only way to them is quite a hike.There are many signs showing the way to main ones.

I'm also curious of other raids by "men dressed in Union uniforms" ,robbing payrolls, etc.

There are also stories of sentinel types in the area. Old fellow up to his 90's going to "town" every day but noone knew where he spent his time.

He also bought up silver dollars and gold coins from men in the surrounding area. These guys were usually paid with coin which he would trade for the paper.

Many of these men showed up during and after the war.Some suggested the Order of the Sons of Liberty (OSL) (KGC) copperheads etc.

In the fall of 1863 plans were made to establish a Northwestern Confederacy.One of Morgan's men, Capt Thomas C. Hines was involved as well as a Dr Wm A. Bowles, supposed military leader of the OSL. You might want to research these two guys.

You may already have this info,if not I hope it helps.

Good Hunting,

Ron

OP
OP
mxtswinger

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
Supersized thanks there fng68. I am really just starting to get "serious" with my research and some of your info is new to me. Don't know squat (yet) about the Copperheads or KGC etc. but it is definitely fascinating. I love history as well and any treasure would be a bonus.
The local oral history is the most interesting.

I went to shool at Rio Grande for 2 yrs, so I am somewhat familiar with the terrain. I need to get back up there and spend some time in the libraries.

Thanks again and Good Huntin
Kevin

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I personally don't know anyone who has found one of these great treasure tails. I detect evereywere I can get permission that's at least 50 years old and talk to as many people as possible. Freinds,neighbors relatives, co-workers, the barber, the baker etc.. Show your finds and ask people who they know. Talk to old-timers, go to the library. Take all the detecting trips you can, eventually you may amass a treasure while looking for it. There are large caches out there, but many have gone broke searching for them. How far are you from Carter county? I like that area real well.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome,

You won't be a rookie for long! There are too many good people on here to help answer your questions.

I just checked on a cache of Morgan’s in Ohio three weeks ago. Found some placer gold but no cache. I also had a hit near Cynthiana Ky in a field but had to leave before we could do any digging. There has to be some nice ones out there, but I have never seen anyone claim to know or have information on where any were.

Did I read it right that you are near Carter Ky? You should get on the legends category and go to Jonathan Swifts Lost Silver Mine threads here on Tnet! There are some people (including me) working on leads for his mines and some Indian ones around Elliott and Carter counties. There is also going to be a get together for people looking for the mines soon, you should try to make it when its finalized.
Have you checked out Terry’s United State Treasure Atlas? He mentions some nice caches in your area.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
My MXT read a barrel perfectly at deeper then two feet, I could define the edges almost exactly. Also large iron reads as dollar :-\ Yes I was a newb and had to dig to see what the hell it was. So if your looking for metal chests and not just loose coins at depth the MXT is just fine.:)

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Bridgeport Connecticut and I wish the best of luck to all of you.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
mxtswinger said:
[snip]
My current areas of study are Gen Morgan (is there any validity to his caches?) and the French activity in my area. Like everyone else, there are "Lost Silver Mines" in my area too. And counterfeiters. And the James boys.........

A burning Q I have right now is- What's with these buried cache tests (3 lbs of silver coins at 2 feet) that NO detector can detect EVEN A 2 BOX. ???? I see the Treasure Hunter 900? highly recommended here, but what are its limitations?

Thanks in advance for any help
Kevin
Regarding your request for Gen. Morgan, and So. KY leads: I'll PM you some soon.

Regarding your "hidden" cache question, maybe the coins are obscured by a larger nearby iron object. Try finding 3 lbs. of silver coins in the trunk of a car or cab of a pick-up. It wouldn't be undetectable, but likely would be ignored, i.e. hidden in plain sight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread