Any help identifying this please

Ezatnova

Apr 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was digging to install a patio yesterday and hit a rock that sounded different to me and I saw white, which is really odd. Cleaned it up and it looks super strange to me and I have no clue what it is.

I am in Chester County, PA, outside of Philadelphia. I am in shale/quartz/limestone country. Karst formation area. I hit a million shiny flat gray/silver rocks all the time, but this is really different.

FYI my property was a farm property and I have found medicine bottles, glass and jar tops dating back 70+ years in the ground near where this was found. The property is also part of the woods area for a house 100 yards away from me that was used as a civil war hospital. When I first saw this coming out of the ground, I thought it was skull lol. Bones and artifacts from the war, as well as arrowheads from prior, have all been found on my property a while ago and on adjacent lots. They buried those who died in the house used as a war hospital out back, close to my lot.

Anyway, there is a chance this is man-made material to some building or device used back then. But, the lines in it look odd to me like it wasn’t concrete. I also do not understand the rounded edges all over it. Not one sharp edge anywhere on it.

Any thoughts!? Should I crack it open? Any tests I can do to see if it’s old concrete or something else?

Thanks! 0FD8B9CF-05FF-4D3C-824E-21C1E54D9178.jpeg 1FE2778B-55F9-4FBD-83C0-1EF03BB2997B.jpeg 79AC55BA-4A1F-4424-B76B-3049CD102579.jpeg 5E67F039-07EC-4B8E-8E90-B175693916D9.jpeg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not man made. I appears to be a worn down bit of limestone, a sedimentary deposit. Seen a lot of this materiel and your description of the geology there is a good pointer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Ezatnova

Apr 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not man made. I appears to be a worn down bit of limestone, a sedimentary deposit. Seen a lot of this materiel and your description of the geology there is a good pointer.

Thanks. Very interesting. All I can say is it’s pretty unique around my yard. All I mostly every hit is limestone and shale stuff.

Interestingly, I saw the tip of a nice looking rock that I decided to dig up and put in a garden. Well, when I started, it ended up being a big old boulder! Took two hours and my tractor to get it out. Anyway, when I was digging it out, I found 2 more tiny pieces of that same smoothed white limestone.

Thankfully, after all the efforts the garden boulder turned out to be a beauty. I wish I knew more about what it was, but it looks to me like a lot of black and white marbling and then there are areas that shine green red copper etc when wet. Then a small area of almost like garnet green.

I bought some stone sealer wet-look stuff that I may try spraying on it to see if it makes it look awesome even when it’s dry.
987791CA-7F3C-452A-A7E2-5BEEA48B919C.jpeg 38B0E9F6-C8C4-493E-BDA1-708D639C10AF.jpeg 3E79E855-C022-4B1C-A21D-3A10F3C105E2.jpeg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread