WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Paper Currencies Forum! I have something that is way out of my realm. I went to visit my Father-in-law and he asked me to find out what this misprinted $1.00 would be worth. I researched a little and have come up with a range of $100.00 - $250.00. Is this a close guess? or am I over guessing?

dollar1.JPG

dollar2.JPG

Thanks for looking!

~Sis (WD)

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For sure a misprint offset. Get it checked out at some big coin show, a keeper for sure.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Perhaps you're over-guessing.
A misalignment error occurs when the full sheet of paper money gets out of alignment during the printing process. Like your bill, most often one side of the note will be misaligned while the other side will have normal centering. IMO, in order to qualify for a misalignment error, however, some authorities say, for example, the overprint overlaps onto the design of the second print. Since your bill does not reveal any part of an adjacent bill, I'd personally call it a misaligned bill, but not an error. The price range you mentioned might fit for a true misalignment error bill; the price dependent upon the amount of misalignment. The extreme would be about half of one bill appearing next to about half of the adjacent bill--all on one bill.
IMO, it's still an interesting bill and worth over par.
Don.....

Misalignment_error2_tb.jpeg

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What MackayDon said plus the bill is wrinkled and torn which would also hurt the value. It's definitely worth "something" to a collector if you can find one and if not it's still a keeper.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps you're over-guessing.
A misalignment error occurs when the full sheet of paper money gets out of alignment during the printing process. Like your bill, most often one side of the note will be misaligned while the other side will have normal centering. IMO, in order to qualify for a misalignment error, however, some authorities say, for example, the overprint overlaps onto the design of the second print. Since your bill does not reveal any part of an adjacent bill, I'd personally call it a misaligned bill, but not an error. The price range you mentioned might fit for a true misalignment error bill; the price dependent upon the amount of misalignment. The extreme would be about half of one bill appearing next to about half of the adjacent bill--all on one bill.
IMO, it's still an interesting bill and worth over par.
Don.....

Misalignment_error2_tb.jpeg

Well, now, that is why I posted. I could find examples like yours, Don. They valued at $150.00 - $250.00. I lowered it to $100.00 because of the condition, like Clad2Silver says.

What MackayDon said plus the bill is wrinkled and torn which would also hurt the value. It's definitely worth "something" to a collector if you can find one and if not it's still a keeper.

I also read that age isn't considered in paper currency.

I will let him know that it is worth less than $100.00 and he should take it to a coin show or coin store as Dozer D suggested.

For sure a misprint offset. Get it checked out at some big coin show, a keeper for sure.

It is pretty neat though. I have never seen one, so I thought it was awesome, too, port ewen ace.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Thank you all for replying!

~Sis

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's freakin cool I would hold onto it

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And this is why I love TreasureNet, I'm always learning, just about every day. Paper currency errors - I've never found one. Maybe someday I will :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread