Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost train water tower hunt

Decided to hunt an old train water tower, which has been removed and the tracks have also been removed. It's been here since the 30's I think, and I was hoping to just find a railroad spike. I did find my spike, plus some plates, and a piece of what I think is iron ore... either from the train itself, or from the gravel track bed.

Anyway, fun hunt, I rarely relic hunt so this was fun.

Also, I changed the title of my thread. Why doesn't it change in the posting list?

Attachments

• IMG_6720.JPG
    IMG_6720.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6721.JPG
    IMG_6721.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6722.JPG
    IMG_6722.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6723.JPG
    IMG_6723.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6724.JPG
    IMG_6724.JPG
    846.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6725.JPG
    IMG_6725.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I checked on that and what I read said that holes and sharp edges are not characteristics of meteorites. Also it has straight lines... grains.

Also it is only slightly attracted to a very strong magnet, again, unlike a meteorite I believe.

Last edited:
kind of looks like a rock.

Not valuable input but thanks anyway! It's obvious it's a rock, but it's extremely heavy, and silver in color. This is west coast of Florida. We don't have rocks here, only limestone.

Maybe silver ore?
In Tonapah NV, a large deposit of silver was discovered because a farmer/ prospector was chasing down a mule and decided to throw a rock at it. the rock seemed very heavy and he took it home. At first nobody thought it was anything really, a little while later it was found to be silver ore. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonopah,_Nevada
This is one of his mines. it is now a museum worth visiting. Tonopah Historic Mining Park
When I took the tour they said for the first year Jim Butler would let anyone mine the claim for a percentage, As it became more difficult to get down to the ore with hand tools he sold out early. He should have kept the percentage deal with the new mine owner because a fortune was taken out of that mine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back