Any Idea what time period these came from?

vaka2race

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2012-10-08-Bullets.jpg
    2012-10-08-Bullets.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 107

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know for certain that nearly all of the cylindrical ones are 20th-century bullets for Blackpowder target-shooters and game-hunters. Bullets #1 and #2 are Lyman-mold 3-groove "Minie-balls." Bullets #3, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are called "Maxi Ball" bullets. Here are some photos of that kind, including a box of them.

The presence of so many modern blackpowder bullets on your farm indicates the musketballs are also modern-made.

Attachments

• bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_short-medium-tall_7795Medium.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_short-medium-tall_7795Medium.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 202
  • bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_Texas-slugs_CWP.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_Texas-slugs_CWP.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 99
  • bullet_MODERN_Maxi-Ball_for-Blackpowder-rifle-hunting_3-views_TN.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_Maxi-Ball_for-Blackpowder-rifle-hunting_3-views_TN.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recognized those T/C Maxi's right off the bat. I used to shoot them in my old .50 CVA kit gun. Strange, but from what I can see in the photos none of these appear to have been fired. Just wondering why some one would drop a bunch of these. I seem to recall the T/C Maxi's weren't exactly cheap.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Second and third ones in from the left are modern - a Lyman and a Lee R.E.A.L. conical (rifling engraved at loading). Four on the right are, as noted above, also modern T/C Maxi-balls. 1960's to present. The round balls could be last week or last millenia. I do all my deer hunting with patched round lead balls. I belong to a forum that has 25,000 like minded traditional muzzleloading folk.

HPIM2767b.jpg

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charlie, I figured there had to be tens-of-thousands (at the least) of Blackpowder game-hunters. My state has a portion of Hunting Season reserved for them alone ...which the state wouldn't do for just a few hundred guys/gals.

I've got to mention, that is a GREAT photo of you, Charlie. It looks like it was shot by a time-traveler.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vaka2race

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,My husband also muzzleload hunts and we knew some resembled the maxiballs he uses today. He didn't know they made that small of a caliber though. Still don't understand why they were there,or why there were some many of them. And the mixture of different ones and sizes.

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
When my Dad was a kid in the 30's, he was splitting firewood when out rolled a double handfull of lead balls. It would have been about head high on the tree they had cut down. It wasn't a real big tree but few people used muzzle loaders then. Would have been there 50 yrs or so. The tree was not near any houses. Those balls could have been there a long time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread